The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brief pike report from West Wales. It was Saturday, so we had to go fishing (it's the law round here!) but given the rain and gales leading up to the weekend, we realised there was not much chance of finding any water clarity around North or South Pembs for bass fishing. We drove past a few of our regular marks, and although swell conditions were well within limits, the water was like mulligatawny soup so we went straight to the now infamous Bosherston Lilly Ponds (site of Steve Lewis' winter pike bumble) in Pembrokeshire. We wanted our string pulled and hadn't visited since the summer bumble, so it seemed like the best, if not only, option on the day.
Cut a long story short, George kicked my ass (as usual, yeah, yeah) and he outfished me 5 fish to 3. We didn't move as many fish as normal, but he had the fish below on a Sammy (cracking first take off the top) but it did not give the best scrap surprisingly. Very long fish - unsure on weight as I don't carry scales but definitely his best pike. Later in the session he moved a monster pike (20lb+) which refused his lure right at the bank on the very same peg as this fish was caught, as we worked our way back towards the car.

I had a tiddler to start (off the top on a Sammy as well) then a tidy fish (7-8lb maybe?) on a Feed Shallow. I had the best scrap ever from a fish caught from "Simon's Bridge" that had been terrorising a huge shoal of roach. We tried a few different lures without any joy, but first cast on my trusty Crystal Minnow and it was "fish-on!" after just three turns of the reel handle. I had a great audience of walkers & ramblers and the fish put on a real performance - searing runs, thrashing on the surface and a complete back-flip out of the water. George manfully waded into the water to land the fish (the water level was too low to land from above the bridge). Sadly George is not as good a photographer as he is angler, but it was a good fish - maybe my best, but it doesn't matter. I had a big smile for the rest of the day. The good news? All 8 fish on regular bass lures. George wants to keep his new pike killer lure secret for now (Simon Lewis knows but he has been sworn to secrecy!) but I can divulge that it was a 5" soft lure that caught four of his 5 pike. I'll have to buy him some more now as the ones he used are shredded to bits!
Oh yeah - He also had a tidy little perch on a spinner too. Damn - make that 6 fish to my 3. DOH!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha Ha - not this time Alex. They are close enough for catching on the fly, but there is no back-cast at all around the lake. The lakes are in steep flooded valleys so you have banks and trees all around. As they don't allow wading or boats either, the fly is sadly not an option. Would be a hoot to catch a decent pike on the fly though.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The Wrasse Meister does it again - give my regards to the young Tyro! Nice fishing the pair of you.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Lovely fish there for George, a very solid double (mid-teens perhaps :?:).

Well done both :clap:.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lovely fish there for George, a very solid double (mid-teens perhaps :?:).

Well done both :clap:.
Thanks, but impossible to know for sure Si as we have never weighed any pike and so have no frame of reference. We had "guessed" 12-14lb? Others who have weighed pike before will know better than us. When we were unhooking the fish it had the BIGGEST gob of any fish I have ever handled and the array of teeth and bristles was very initimidating. A salutary lesson in treating the pointy end of any pike with respect!

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Griffins strike again. Well done chaps and congrats on your pb George.

Perhaps the following can help guess the weight, Tim? A fishing pal caught this at the weekend on a lure he was field testing for us. He is a very experienced pike angler and he told me he guesstimated (is that even a word!) this pike as being a "fin perfect mid double"

flt-pike-2.jpg

Dunno if that helps or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
excellent stuff tim & george lovely pic's with a great report well done .

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All on Bass lures too, nice one!!
Matt - that's what makes it such a good back-up and out-of-season option for us. All we do is tie on a short wire trace instead of the usual fluoro leader, and we're away with just our regular bass gear. The big fish of George's was landed on a 7' Bushwacker, 2500 Shimano Exage reel and 10lb Power pro braid so there's no need for heavy gear. Might have been different if that really big one had grabbed his lure though ;)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Tim - sounds great! Think I'm going to have a mooch up to Exeter canal this winter, I hear there's some beauts in there.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great fish George, well done :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts