The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Lads,

I hope i'm not stirring any trouble with the locals but i have been to Penmon Point Angelsey now twice, low water at crack of dawn and during the day. Both with no success lure fishing. So far that's the only place i can venture bass fishing myself as its safe( i'm a begginer). I must been doing something wrong. Did near the lighthouse, behind the cafe and the beach. Is there any specific time or tide for this place or any special lure that i have not bought.

If anyone have anything at all please help. My pm box still quiet empty and so is my bass telly...blank completely.

Thanks
mo

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mo you saw me lose that one under my feet, they're there alright. I believe we were there at the right time too as the bass hide under the rock ledges waiting to ambush small fish retreating with the ebbing tide. Long thin sandeel shaped lures fished S-L-O-W-L-Y, I lost mine on a Tide Minnow 125. Cast uptide, do NOTHING, just retrieve the slack line without retrieving, as it passes infront of you give it a twitch or two, then as it goes downtide it'll swing round and move closer to the rocks where the bass are waiting. Just hold it in the flow. 30 seconds maybe. Slow retrieve a metre or two and stop again.

There's too much food around with all the sandeel shoals for a straight retrieve to work. Yes the lure would look like a sandeel, but a bass probably wouldn't chase a fit healthy active one. There were plenty of birds around feeding on the shoals so some sandeels eels would be injured or disorientated escaping from them, these would be an easy target for a bass lurking and waiting for an easy meal. Tide Minnows, Feed Shallows, Sidewinder Eels, the new weighted Eddystones etc would all do a job but to be honest the ones you have are fine! Those Yo-Zuris would be good there, just slow it down mate.

Just remember the rocks you climb across at low tide, filled with weedy holes. This is where the bass are hiding! Right under your feet! Most importantly, when you hook one and the line starts screaming from your drag DO NOT shout "Yeeeesssssss" like a complete t*t as you'll lose it the very second you open your mouth!!! Oooops!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
hi Mo, as with any mark,the fish arent always gonna be around and failing twice is nothing !!! wait till you get well into double figures of consecutive blanks,just keep trying and eventually the reward will come, sometimes its the weather,sometimes the water clarity,the stage of tide,or lack of bait fish in the area, i have caught in that area on a T- chad chug bug about half way into the flood and know of people who go around high tide,they also blank like the rest of us, but also have good days as well.............

·
Registered
6 Posts
penmon point

Hi mate I'm also new to bass fishing........half way from the toll to the point there is a road on your left. This leads to another area close to the point but away from the madding crowds . I've spotted locals fishing with live launce caught on sabiki rigs....I've tried it myself with no luck......perhaps as were both begginers we could share notes ? I've also been fishing lligwy with no more luck but I'm sure its only a matter of time till it comes together ......Chris.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Guys, there's a Welsh Bumble coming up weekend after next get your selves down there and meet everyone. It's great fun, friendlly people who'll freely give you all the information you need to help boost your catches. You never know you might get to see Robf catch another monster Bass...eerrr Mullet... eh Rob..;-)

One more fish than I had I might add....:oops::oops:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, there's a Welsh Bumble coming up weekend after next get your selves down there and meet everyone. It's great fun, friendlly people who'll freely give you all the information you need to help boost your catches. You never know you might get to see Robf catch another monster Bass...eerrr Mullet... eh Rob..;-)

Cant make it for the bumble as working. Love to though.. . I think i have to wait for the Northwest bumble. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mo you saw me lose that one under my feet, they're there alright. I believe we were there at the right time too as the bass hide under the rock ledges waiting to ambush small fish retreating with the ebbing tide. Long thin sandeel shaped lures fished S-L-O-W-L-Y, I lost mine on a Tide Minnow 125. Cast uptide, do NOTHING, just retrieve the slack line without retrieving, as it passes infront of you give it a twitch or two, then as it goes downtide it'll swing round and move closer to the rocks where the bass are waiting. Just hold it in the flow. 30 seconds maybe. Slow retrieve a metre or two and stop again.

There's too much food around with all the sandeel shoals for a straight retrieve to work. Yes the lure would look like a sandeel, but a bass probably wouldn't chase a fit healthy active one. There were plenty of birds around feeding on the shoals so some sandeels eels would be injured or disorientated escaping from them, these would be an easy target for a bass lurking and waiting for an easy meal. Tide Minnows, Feed Shallows, Sidewinder Eels, the new weighted Eddystones etc would all do a job but to be honest the ones you have are fine! Those Yo-Zuris would be good there, just slow it down mate.

Just remember the rocks you climb across at low tide, filled with weedy holes. This is where the bass are hiding! Right under your feet! Most importantly, when you hook one and the line starts screaming from your drag DO NOT shout "Yeeeesssssss" like a complete t*t as you'll lose it the very second you open your mouth!!! Oooops!
It felt right that day..lost so much confidence by the end of the sesh a bit.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

:stupid:Where there's mullet there's bass Trev, so I'm happy I was fishing the right areas...

This time we'll crack it mate. A couple of dawn raids to loosen up too!!! Can't wait! :horsesword:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It felt right that day..lost so much confidence by the end of the sesh a bit.
To be fair Mo, I felt the same at Whitebeach. My heart just wasn't in it and I started to make silly mistakes; switching from a heavy lure to a light lure and back again which caused a wind knot costing me 25yrds of braid and a pricey lure. Stick with it mate!

There might not be much info on Penmon specifically on here but have a read through (or ask about) places with features similar to it, then people from other areas can tell you their experiences. I put up a post the other day asking about lures for strong flow thinking about this very same venue!

There's also an interesting thread by Allsorts on "Lures And Presentation For Rips" http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=3830 which would come in handy, as well as Dave's "It Just Isn't Right" post http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=3190 where bass are ambushing individual baitfish amoungst the weed and trapping them against the rocks... That's the same scenario that was infront of us the other week, but he's in Sussex.

I can understand why people may be reluctant to post venue-specific information, so asking about how to fish certain features may get better responses.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
When Penmon does not produce its because of wind direction and lack of bait fish in the area, there are other good spots to try on that side of the Anglsey coastline,if you need any more info send me a pm.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Chris,
See link to bumble thread. Final timings have not been posted yet but we will be meeting at Wiseman's Bridge. Some of us will be there on the Saturday morning but the main Bumble will be Sunday from early morning. See ya there hopefully.

http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=3701

1 - 12 of 12 Posts