The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this reel the other week and i have still not used it yet, i have not even bought braid for it yet!
Has anyone used one of these reels and what braid would u suggest to use with it?

I am also a little troubled because it does not have the reverse switch on it, and if you reel backwards its unscrews the handle, is this because its an american reel and we all no they like bullying their fish:???:

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Reels without anti-reverse are usually for fighting big game arent they ? Where anti reverse would be dangerous ? I never use that feature anyway, so it wouldnt bother me. Horse'em out Dom !!!! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello

I have a 440 ssg and i like the permanent anti reverse feature, less to go wrong is the thinking behind it. However i do believe that these reels are best with mono as opposed to braid.

I asked the question of using braid on the SSG reels to someone at Penn in Philadelphia ( very good customer services), and they said that they advise using mono on graphite body reels. Some may disagree but i think it is due to the pressures generated by non stretch lines. The Penn Slammer (excellent reel) is advertised as 'braid ready'. I have had problems usuing braid on some of my older graphite bodied reels such as knackered anti reverse and spools dropping off!.

The 'Sargus' is a great reel as well. Good with braid.

cheers

Tony

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Tony, i think i will give the mono a go, i just love using braid, so i will prob only use this reel in windy weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts