The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through Sea Angler they're offering this reel free with the mag subscription

Just wondered if anyone can recommend it or otherwise? or any Penn fixed spool for that matter. Never owned one myself

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Hi Phil. Before I say anything, I haven't owned one. I have however heard in various places from various people that it is commonly referred to as the 'Craptiva'. General consensus seems to be that if you are to be using finer braids, the line lay etc is not of a high enough standard to prevent wind knots and the like. From what I have read, if you gave me £45 (thats what you can buy them for), I would be looking at something else.

But of course it is free, and would no doubt make a good reel for baitfishing, and maybe heavier vertical lure fishing from boats. Can't argue with something for nowt really...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks gents - thats exactly the sort of info I was after never having owned a Penn of any description

Cosmetically it looks the part, just goes to show looks aren't everything. I was only toying with getting a subscription anyway

I'll have to have a trawl round the web for any reviews on sea spinning reels in the £50-80 bracket

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Penn reel in question actually not a bad reel I have one matched to there own bass rod think mine is a 6000 size not sure as a mate has it at moment but is is of good quality and sturdy design and will be more than capable of landing any shore caught fish, line lay not perfect but for a reel in that price bracket u can't really complain, think I might take that subscription deal and if anything really its a nice new reel for the son and an excuse to buy him a new rod and get out fishing.

If looked after this reel would last few years and is easy maintained

·
Registered
865 Posts
a have one and think its a decent reel especially if free, had a few wind knots when using new braid and light lures but now mainly used now for my bait fishin(still with braid) and never have any wind knots.
One thing a have noticed is its got a decent amount of crankin power when needed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers gents - always good to get an opposing view

Probably all boils down to whether I want to cough up for a Sea Angler subscription.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Phil, Penn Affinity AF4000 - cracking piece of kit in my opinion. If you haven't yet purchased, there are still a few of these knocking around at about £70. Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts