The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorting out lures and a venue, but I have a quick question. I would imagine that Pike will be present at 99% of perch venues. So rather than risk leaving hooks/lures in a pike I would assume a wire trace is the way to go. I have some 25lb titainium wire, that I have used for jack pike in the past, would that be OK for perch. It is very thin, and flexable. Just wondering if it will put the perch off or not?
Anybody want to reconmend lengths or I will just go with my normal 10" trace length.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I’ve caught dozens and dozens of perch over 2.5Ib using wire traces so I’m not so sure that they are majorly put off by wire and as you say if pike are present it isn’t worth while using anything else.

I make my own traces using Drennan Soft Strand wire in 10 & 15Ib version. If you do make them up by crimping use a piece of heat shrink over the crimp and about a centimetre up the wire in order to avoid the wire cutting against itself the sharp edge of the crimp.

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=4&ModelID=17981

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Dave you have got to use wire mate............
Like Vidar says it dosn't put them off at all and the chances are that you will make contact with Mr Pike.
Personally I would use something a bit thinner in diameter than the 25 but only really to scale things down a bit etc.
Make sure that the wire trace is long enough as if you are using small lures Mr Pike will 'inhale' them and you could end up in trouble etc.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally agree, any chance of Pike means wire leaders as far as I am concerned, Trust me this wire is very thin, 25lb test is 0.25mm diameter, and knottable, and doesn't kink like braid wires do. I reason I make my traces 10" long as I have seen just how much leader (and plug) even an average sized pike can inhale on the take.
great to hear that Perch aren't put off by suitabably scaled traces, I have fished loads for Pike, but mainly with Pike sized lures so seldom get perch. Apart from the odd perch that seem to love larger spoons??

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
For years I’ve used BOA No-Kink Titanium shock leader wire for traces ranging from 20 to 50Ib, and it is in my opinion the best light titanium trace wire around.

I have always purchased the wire from Tackle Direct, but I’m sure there are other sources.

http://www.tackledirect.com/malinboa20lb30.html

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adrian,
Nice trace, I like the idea of dumping the swivel and snap, rings and split ring connection lighter and stronger.
Boa trace has been around for years, I have it 60lb-best cuda trace going. Just watch it as it is very springy!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
A mate has used the 15lb Boa and had several unxplained breaks, I've only used the 20lb on one session so far and had 2 breaks when pulling for breaks (and they broke very easily), so I'm not convinced yet. Maybe the heavier stuff is better. Need to persevere. I get it from germany, i'll look it up when i get home. The Terminator titanium in 20lb is great.

The rest of the trace is made up of gemini mini crimps (half the length of normal crimps), drennan mini rig ring (round), oval rig ring (variety of makers) about the same size. No need for swivels, and for pike I prefer to use the split ring rather than a lure clip as there's no chance that it'll come undone. The Boa has a very smooth finish and can slip through the crimps so i have to test each trace very firmly before I use them. The terminator titanium crimps up perfectly. some people prefer knots, I think I get a neater finish by crimping. each to their own I guess.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adrain,
I found by doubling back the tag end of the wire it crimps up alot better and is much less prone to slipping.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Adrain,
I found by doubling back the tag end of the wire it crimps up alot better and is much less prone to slipping.
I agree totally - it is for me the only way to crimp single strand titanium wire.

I've had pike to well over 15Ib on the 20Ib BOA version, and I have never had a single break in the five or so years I've used it.

Reactions: Adrian

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not for me, Adrain. If anything goes it is normally the knot to the leader or occasionally the snap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Totally agree, any chance of Pike means wire leaders as far as I am concerned, Trust me this wire is very thin, 25lb test is 0.25mm diameter, and knottable, and doesn't kink like braid wires do. I reason I make my traces 10" long as I have seen just how much leader (and plug) even an average sized pike can inhale on the take.
great to hear that Perch aren't put off by suitabably scaled traces, I have fished loads for Pike, but mainly with Pike sized lures so seldom get perch. Apart from the odd perch that seem to love larger spoons??
Dave, is the titanium that your using the Knot2Kinky stuff? I have been using this stuff for a couple of years now and it is super thin and perfect for perch fishing (have taken pike to 23lb on a 25lb trace) and will handle any pike that come along. Some people have had some unexplained breakages with it, I personally have never had one but I would recommend regularly checking any titanium trace for any kinks which will reduce its strength massively.

Oh and knot all my titanium traces, as I have found crimping it, especially in the lighter b/s damages the wire badly and weakens it.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I was using wire traces a lot in canada for the pike, char and salmon and no issues though they were suffering breakages, so i got a friend back here to order a load i have used in the past and send them over registered mail to me, only so i git them in the week as oppossed to 2 months.
He ordered them through an auction site :) here and no breakages not sure on the diamters and B/S though very well made and reacted very well indeed. I left 200 of them there and they have been passed around all of the pike anglers through the summer taking fish to 65lb+ with ease and not a single breakage yet. They only use 12lb mono mainlines and when they pulled for a break the mono alwats parted company first.
I have ordered more last night so i shall post up details when i get more delivered, i have to send another 300 over ready for the spring fall for next season for them they are 10% of the cost they are paying over there. Supplied in 15, 20 and 25 cm lengths. Only fished for pike a couple of times since getting home though i havent had any breakages as yet and they are very cheap indeed. So realy can't complain.
If we didnt use the traces no fish ould have been landed as for perch i have neer used lures for them though htis is on my list of things to do this year uses surface poppers on the fly rods and they are geat fun then.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joe,
That is the brand I got, I couldn't remember the name Boa-I chunked all the packaging away for the titainium I have- But it all 50lb + Fine for pike, but thicker than I would like for Perch.
Will give this stuff a go, Will knot a couple of traces and crimp a couple, and have a look, Hate the thought of a trace breaking and leaving a lure in a fish. Thanks for the advice, always good to hear from someone that uses the stuff in question.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts