The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Harold,
Caught nthm in the past on Orange/Gold Rapala F5's
But had more success with small Mepps spinners with red spots on the blade and a bit of red wool on the treble.
I am sure you will get some more up to date from some of the other members.

Reactions: Harold

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi,
Can I just ask why you want just hard lures for perch as I believe soft lures are much better. On topic though, a small spinnerbait like the booyah pond magic will be perfect.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Harold

I have had perch up to 2.5lbs on Manns 1-minus plugs but all my best perch (4lb) have come to Mepps Aglia Size 3 spinners with the copper blade version being the best, although gold and silver have their moments. I always tie a red wool (or synthetic hair) tag on my spinners. I also use the Mepps Comet size 3, gold with red spots, but done best with the Mepps Aglia.

David

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
For me the ultimate Perch lure has to be the old Voblex head weighted spinner in red and gold worked just fast enough to turn the rotar.
Deadley for Perch and Pike,,,,,,,,,,,,but slower than slow and almost to the point of 'stall'.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
As others have said, I find small spinners to be very effective for perch and will catch both small and big ones. Worden's Sonic Roostertail with silver blade and flame (red/orange) hackle in 1/8oz is very good but you have to buy them in quantities of 4 dozen to get a good price. Consequently I have quite few so if you PM me your address harold I'll put a couple in the mail to you to try.

Alternatively, you could try small twintails. I've found them to be very good in the winter, bounced along the bottom of the river or canal. Chartreuse works for me.

a further option is the rapala jointed shad rap (JSR-4). they're ideal for most small UK canals, diving to about 3ft and then suspending. You can twitch them across the canal very slowly and most takes come during the pause. tends to single out the bigger perch in my experience. I have loads of those 2, in fact i mudst get round to putting some on e-bay soon.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Thats a stunning photo of a stunning fish Milan. Best looking fish in freshwater IMO, and the old saying that a big perch looks the biggest of fish is so true!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My team has tested in different areas, small perch takes everything that moves, but the big ones, they are very carefull, we caught more than hundred perch over 3 LB and all of them on big jerkbaits !

·
Registered
932 Posts
my favourite perch lures are medium size wobblers, 7-9 cms, but for big ones, jerkbaits are the best lures !
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! How big do your perch grow to, Milan? Also, how do you fish the jerkbaits to get the bigger perch?

That's a beauty!

Croatia...Beautiful country, beautiful beaches, beautiful women and BIG fish... What more can you ask for? I HAVE to go there.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I've heard stories of Perch to 7lb+ in the Uk before the dreaded wipout disease. I know of a guy locally who caught one 200 yards from my house !!

Back on topic, I've done well with the Evergreen Combat Crank in various depths and golden perch is a good colour. I often remove the lower treble when running through weedy areas as most Perch attack from behind, but i see Milan proves me wrong in one of his pix above :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have tested in different areas, from Sweden to the lakes on the Irish West Coast, the golden rule "small lure - small perch" !
If you cast bigger wooden jerkbaits, and retrieve the lure very fast, you'll see that the big perch (and very often Salmon) is swimming behind !

One more pic:

·
Registered
932 Posts
This is why I love fishing. I've been doing a lot of reading/research about perch and chub recently. One of the main lessons I have learned from UK anglers is that the bigger perch don't bother with speeding hard baits. They (generally) prefer softies worked really slow which is why I think dropshotting would be great for Perch. But here's Milan with BIG perch caught on quickly retrieved BIG jerkbaits.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Milan. I'm fascinated.

Whats your set up for this method? Standard jerkbait rod and jerbaits? Are you working in deep water and are the fish near the bottom?

Cheers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I'm using an medium hard jerkbait rod, 6 ft and sinking jerkbaits with belly flash action, on this video there are few underwater scenes where you can see how fast I retrieve the lure ! The perch we usually caugth in depth of 1,5 to 3 m ! No problem for them to come up from the bottom and take the lure just under the surface!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello Thomas,

for you is the easiest way to find our lures at Moritz-Nord in Kaltenkirchen !

As soon as we get our website translated to english, I'll put the link on advertising place on this forum !

btw: did you got our samples ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts