The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I does anyone know a good day ticket perch venue in the south east that allows spinning??
Looking to have another try for a decent perch.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I am not sure quite how much help ths is but I fished Wintons at Burgess Hill a few years ago for a couple of seasons and although primarily a carp water, Herons Lake holds some very good Perch. I had them to over 3lb on bait (two enormous lobworm!). I think Alan allows spinning but the water clarity is often poor especially in winter. There are plenty of pike in there as well so wire trace is a must (I know that you know that!!). From memory, and it might well have changed, this is a day ticket plus a small initial fee so technically it might not meet criteria.

Another lake that I havent yet fished but walked around is Springwood near Rotherfield and I believe the current (or recent anyway) Perch record came from there. When i was there, again the water clarity was poor - the curse of a lot of Sussex waters!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Passies at Shoreham has perch to over 4lb in it but last I heard spinning wasn't allowed. But if we approached Trevor and went about it the right way he might allow some of us on there.
Maybe if we used just SPs as I think it is the trbles that he is concerned about after some first class muppetry going on in the past.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If I was you I would try and get a day ticket on a river such as the Thames or Kennet, these two rivers are full of quality perch. A day ticket on the Kennet and Avon canal would be a very good bet as it has some big perch in, it is not often that I go out and not get a perch over 2lb on this canal!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,
Will have a look at the Kennet and Avon Canal Joe, any particular area??

Alex, I have fished Bury Hill several times, a bit of a boom or bust fishery, and it can be very busy, which limits how much of the main lake you can fish-even from the punts. Week days are better. Had a couple of half decent pike from there and a baby zander, and 1 perch that I can remember-about a pound.

Pete, will drop Andrew a pm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have particular experience of the stretch around Newbury, however I have friends who do very well on different stretches of the the canal so I would not worry.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Joe, loving the avatar by the way, decent perch are cracking looking fish.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, yes they are, a big perch is the biggest fish of all. The picture in my avatar doesn't really do that fish justice as it was just under 4lb, however its colours are great in the pic, if only it had stuck its fin up.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just under 4lb!!!
Ok I admit I am very jealous, well done Joe that is an awesome Perch. As you said there is just "something" about a big perch. One day......

·
Registered
437 Posts
Joe might have to pop over for some perch/pike fishing if thats ok? Dave if you are coming up this way give me a shout.

I have not been fishing in 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Dave, my mate Ken and I head over to Buckingham every year to fish the Great Ouse. As yet we hav'nt lure fished it yet, but we've always caught. We're also members of the Perchfishers (check it out, great website). That perch on my avatar weighed 4lb 2oz(2006), it's up there with the 10lb10oz bass I caught in Aug this year. From talking to the guys the Kennet and avon canal, the Thames and the Ouse are worth a look.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Dan,
Beautiful Perch, and another member with Perch over 4lb-You guys are lucky (although I am betting you put the hours in to help that luck)
Will check out the Great Ouse, looks like there might be enough interest for a Lure forum freash water bumble some time in the new Year. Fingers crossed the weather doesn't stay too cold for too long.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Cheers Dan,
Beautiful Perch, and another member with Perch over 4lb-You guys are lucky (although I am betting you put the hours in to help that luck)
Will check out the Great Ouse, looks like there might be enough interest for a Lure forum freash water bumble some time in the new Year. Fingers crossed the weather doesn't stay too cold for too long.
The Great Ouse is one of the best perch rivers in the country and the fish are growing bigger every day gorging on signal-cray.
Considering I have the Great Ouse virtually in my backyard I don’t fish it as much as I should.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vidar,
Any day ticket water on the Great Ouse?? Or better streches. Got some time over Xmas/New Year and if the snow holds off I might be tempted to head there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
MASSIVE shame on you Vidar, you dont know how lucky you are to have such a magnificent river on your door step. All the great legends fished the Great River Ouse i.e.Fred J Taylor, Dick Walker, Peter Stone, Pete Frost,Tony Miles, John Wilson and Bob Buteaux. All have had specimen roach, barbel, chub, and perch from the Ouse. We'll be over late Feb/early March 2011, and then roll on the bass season.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dave you can get day tickets in Buckingham, We get ours at the local shop near Tingewick side of Buckingham town. We're hoping for mild weather, Oh for a soft day!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers Dan,
Bit of a hike, but for the chance of a decent (over 2lb) perch, it isn't that far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts