The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out again today in not so choppy waters as yesterday, The day started fairly slowly for us with a few fish being netted around the 2.5lb mark

Most fish being caught on redgills

We moved slightly offshore on the low tide which resulted in a further fish of 3lbs, another at just over 4lbs and the best fish for me this year an 8.25lb fish which put up a good fight

The fish took a blue and white redgill fished very slowly in about 20ft of water

The fish about to return to the depths

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Cracking fish Alan, you were due a lunker! I do envy you being able to get out in the boat as much as you do

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
That's a beauty Alan, and very well deserved considering the time & effort that you put in :clap: :clap:.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Cracking bass Alan,
Still looking (and hoping) for one about that size around here-Well Done!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Very jealous Alan, not only of that fish but the time you invest in your fishing. NIce work and well done for returning such a smashing fish.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Lovely fish Alan ... can you give a quick overview on how you fish the redgill evo's please?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The redgill is tied straight to my leader I never use clips as I have lost too many fish when clips have become undone and the fact I would never check my knot with tying a new lure on you know the knot should be okay. Then it is a simple method of casting out and letting the lure sink dependent on depth.

The redgill is allowed to sink dependent on depth and then fished very slowly with the occasional upward ovement of the rod to impart movement. Think of the redgill as a dying sand eel.Also very often if a fish bites and lets go just stop winding in and the fish returns and takes again. Please if anyone from redgill reads this and wants to send me some please do, I tend to find they split quiet easily at the nose

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Lovely fish.

I was just looking out of my office window this morning thinking "Don't the conditions look great" then thinking "Only 17 years until I retire"..............Bugger.

PS Met an angler last Sunday who had an 8lber off a kayak recently, so they are out there.

He wasn't the same kayak angler who parted company with his kayak at Corbiere on Saturday and need to be rescued by a boat diverted by the Coastguard. Lucky in some respects.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
He wasn't the same kayak angler who parted company with his kayak at Corbiere on Saturday and need to be rescued by a boat diverted by the Coastguard. Lucky in some respects.
Christ, you'd have to be fairly mental to be out off Corbiere in a kayak in that swell...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Wel done on that fantastic Bass Alan, the law of averages said a clonker like that has to turn up sometime and the time you put in certainly shortens the odds!

The redgill is allowed to sink dependent on depth and then fished very slowly with the occasional upward ovement of the rod to impart movement. Think of the redgill as a dying sand eel.Also very often if a fish bites and lets go just stop winding in and the fish returns and takes again. Please if anyone from redgill reads this and wants to send me some please do, I tend to find they split quiet easily at the nose
Are you anchoring up whilst you use this technique, I imagine there's still a bit of a blow on down your way so the drift would pull the lure upwards? Then again I don't know how much weight is in them. Are you chucking them upstream? how deep are they running? erm... that's all the questions for now... :)
I'm just curious as to how you're doing so well on an "old school" lure that has done a bit for me in the past but I've never had any real confidence in.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tim

Just drifting at the moment they weigh about 17gms and are ideal for our fishing.The are fished really really slowly as slow as you dare .It does not seem to matter up stream down stream or across the stream. I used to wind them in as If was spinning but now it seems slow is best and impart a bit of movement as if it is a wounded or dying sand eel. I have just had a call from a friend who tells me the purple ones are taking big fish in the isle of wight at present

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I used to wind them in as If was spinning but now it seems slow is best and impart a bit of movement as if it is a wounded or dying sand eel.
So the lure's doing the same speed as the boat's drifting?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts