The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, i'm gonna have a try for a Pike on a fly. Therefore, i need to pick up a small selection of suitable flies. Would anyone be able to recommend a suitable selection of say 5 or 6 patterns, and a suitable retailer?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Try a 'Hollowfleye' in your assortment

Hi Simon

This suggestion is based on only 2 full days of pike on the fly - (about 13 fish taken in all including the one in the photo) where all the fish were caught on 'Hollowfleye' style bucktail patterns. Andy Elliot on this forum ties professionally and could possibly help. I've taken the liberty of posting a picture from his site to show the style. The advantage is that they cast OK (say with an intermediate 9wt), certainly better than big rabbit fur patterns at any rate and have a good bulky profile and push water. This is because the bucktail is tied facing forwards and then swept back and secured so it flares out.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Si if your planning on using your trout gear avoid the larger pattern flies tied with minky and zonker strips as they retain water and make them very heavy!! You will risk snapping your rod!! I use a 10weight outfit. Also you will need to have a more open loop cast when using your trout gear setup not so much for turnover but to prevent catching your trailing loop on the forwad cast with the larger heavier flies unless you are very profficient in double hauling and can generate higher line speeds!! Which in turn will put alot more pressure on the rod and again may snap it by over-loading it with over-sized patterns and line speed!!

·
Registered
168 Posts

Top one is a hollow fleye tied on a 22mm eumer teardrop tube bottom is a synthetic deciever of sorts on a 15mm tube although the orange does have reverse tied bucktail and icelandic sheep in it... yje Hollow Fleye took 2 fish in 4 casts!! Have a wee look at my blog and you'll see a common denominator in there!!! Armed with 2/0 hooks!!

I'd offer to tie you some up but I'm snowed under and going fishing tomorrow!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I believe the standard outfit is a 10wt for Pike, the big pike flies need a heavy line. See what is about, see if you can borrow an outfit for a session.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Look for patterns tied with icelandic sheep. they pulse, have a gret profile in the water and shed water on the back cast to become thin as a pencil. Easier to cast and shed water better than synthetics and have a slimmer profile after a back cast than bucktail.

I use them tiied on Varivas Bigmouth Xtra 6/0, bit of lead at the head and epoxy over tape eyes fished on a 9 or 10. A 5" version on a 4/0 should be castable on a 6wt if you have a line with a heavy front taper.

Seriously these flies are deadly. They outfished lures for me last year. Quickish short twitches with lots of pauses and hangs. One with a foam underbody fishes nicely on a sinker with a 2ft leader.

There's two pics of the flies and a victim! Over 20 but looks bigger due to the hold up to camera technique ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with Icelandic sheep - fantastic material that is often forgotten... the orange tube fly above does contain some... another material you may like to consider is Racoon Fur, cut as a marabou replacement

However, I do have concerns with targetting pike with a 6wt... and you never cast this with a 6wt in any event :D Cheap as chips pike fly rod that would double for the salt is the Ron Thompson MPX... a rod builder pal of mine said that it wasn't a bad blank when he used it. Over line it with a 10wt line.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend a #6 if you were buying a pike fly rod but if you know the area only has jacks and you only have trout gear its an OK start point. I'm going to use my #6 TCR this year but only in places where I know the fish are small.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with Icelandic sheep - fantastic material that is often forgotten... the orange tube fly above does contain some... another material you may like to consider is Racoon Fur, cut as a marabou replacement

However, I do have concerns with targetting pike with a 6wt... and you never cast this with a 6wt in any event :D Cheap as chips pike fly rod that would double for the salt is the Ron Thompson MPX... a rod builder pal of mine said that it wasn't a bad blank when he used it. Over line it with a 10wt line.
Nice fly David! What's that Raccoon fur like? i need something to finish off the head end of my sheep flies so I don't waste loads of sheep by trimming it back short.

Whats the fibre length? Is it soft and does it shed water if you take it off the skin to tie it in?

I'm looking for a natural ful with a slight natural wave with a fairly standard fibre length of 2-3". Available in lots of wacky colours is a bonus!

Cheers

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think i've actually got a 7/8 rod, not a 6 (i'll check later), so it sounds like it should give me some options ? I picked up some Bass flies lunchtime - cant see why they wouldnt work ? I'll give them a try & report back.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You want flies with a big profile and lots of movement on the pause for pike. Bass flies tend to be smaller and more sparse to imitate small baitfish. They will still work but won't be the best choice. Bear in mind that pike prey is typically between 5 and 10" in length. This is what they have imprinted on their brain as a prey image. They will prefer to feed once on a large meal than chase lots of small food items. They also like slower retrieves, I think they prefer to chase something they think they can catch.

I haven't used these but the V Motion flies in this link look superb, just check the size, wouldn't go more than 4/0 on a 7/8. I know that Austen also did really well on Chew with DNA Broadsides.

http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/acatalog/pikeflyfishingflies.html

A 7/8 is a perfect starting point. Intermediate lines with a heavy front taper (Rio Striper) are good also.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point about the prey size David. The flies were an impulse buy. I may still give them a crack until i get the proper thing. You never know.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice fly David! What's that Raccoon fur like? i need something to finish off the head end of my sheep flies so I don't waste loads of sheep by trimming it back short.

Whats the fibre length? Is it soft and does it shed water if you take it off the skin to tie it in?

I'm looking for a natural ful with a slight natural wave with a fairly standard fibre length of 2-3". Available in lots of wacky colours is a bonus!

Cheers
Is it soft.... so soft its unreal... comb out the under fur in it and it is sooooooooooooooooooo mobile in the water... the fly above is all Raccoon apart from the black at the front that is Fox... just to firm it up and give it an extra push... but that thing sits in the water and fishes on dead stop!!! It is a beggar to cast though... I tied it in using the skin but may alter that in the future... I haven't got much time spare at the moment... I'm meant to be tying for the Dutch Fly Fair and am leaving it last minute!! When I'm in Holland if I think on I'll get a sample from the Eumer boys and I'll PM you my address on my return and if you send me a prepaid envelope I'll pop it in the post to you...

David

David

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd really appreciate that thanks!

That's exactly what I'm after. I'm using Craft Fur at the front of my sheep flies right now but its not as nice as natural fibre. I'm probably going to cut the fur off the hide and tie it in the round like a bucktail deceiver. Should finish off the front of the fly very nicely.

I'm trying to put together a nice surface fly for pike this year, have you got any patterns that have worked for you?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok - numpty questions . . . . . . .

How do you attach the fly ? Presumably you need a wire-trace ? I've been using ready-made traces for lure fishing for Pike. How would i attach a fly - would i have to made a trace specially ?

How would i attach the trace to the loop on my fly-line ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts