Pike lures for a newb | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Pike lures for a newb

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Sandeel

Can you recommend a few lures that will catch Pike? There are so many out there and I've tried doing research on google and youtube etc. but there isn't anything standing out.

I'll mostly fish the River Trent with the odd sessions on local ponds and reservoirs etc.

2. Pollock Supporting Member

Cheap-Rubber shads 5 inch plus, and expensive- similar size plugs that dive deepish. you can get them to work shallower, just reel slower, or not at all!
    Spinners/spoons may help in stillwater, but youll lose an awful lot fishing deep and slow in the trent in winter!

3. Perch

4. Mackerel

I catch a fair bit on savage gear swim baits, and large spinners, spinners are really cheap to and have been catching pike for decades

5. Pike

Everyone has their favorites Mike but if your fishing shallow waters I wouldn't leave the house without these:

Savage Gear lipless 4play 13 cm 21 g
    Daiwa Duckfin Shad (weedless hooks - texposers if weightless or owner twistlock 1/8 oz if you need extra weight)

Took a couple on each of these thisafternoon actually!

6. Snapper

Also in warmer temps (especially in shallow water) try catching them on the top. It's certainly the most fun. I'm not sure it really matters which surface lures you try as long as you match the lure to your rods casting weight. But two I have found very effective are the Heddon Super Spook and Rapala X Rap Walk. You won't hook up on every take. But it's all exciting stuff!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Pollock Supporting Member

Dont get carried away Walter! Its going to be six months at least before a topwater lure will be cast in anger. For now Mike, buy a selection of lures that will get down and dirty!...................... but come next spring read this thread again. Then DO WHAT WALTER SAYS! There is NOTHING like the buzz of getting a fish to take a lure off the top!

8. Blenny

I have this same question but I would be fishing a lake from the shore around shallow/reedy areas. Have only had success on spinners but have also tried the SG cannibal shad. Any recommendations??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Snapper

To be sure Michael. That's why I mentioned warmer temps. Regardless life would be pretty boring without getting carried away. Carried away in moderation of course.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pollock Supporting Member

Probably going to be slow through the winter, but come next spring, before and after spawning, try your Bass HPs, and later topwaters. Shallow divers can work on top, pop them, and let them rise, then take up the slack and repeat. I've done really well doing this in water so shallow that if you wound a shallow diver (large size abu tormentor, they're cheapish.) they hung up every cast! They will spawn in areas like that, and afterwards they should be ravenous!

11. Blenny

Thanks! What about SP's????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Perch

13. Perch

SPs which have worked for me include Keitech Easy Shiner, Ecogear BTS shad and any medium to large twintails.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pike

Second that Michael but I've had mixed results using bass hp's in freshwater. With the reduced water density in fresh some floaters sink (including salt skimmers) or you have to work them harder and faster than you would like to impart action - often reducing catch rates. Good bass hps for pike for me have been Duo DC 9s, Ima Komomo 125 (and 130 slim), Ima sasuke (all sizes 75 shad - 140), Megabass Lates, Megabass FX-9, Megabass zonk 77 and for surface Luckycraft Gunfish and Sammy 110.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but the Daiwa Duckfin 13 cm (and 9 cm when they are picky) has taken me hundreds of pike over the past few years - my go to lure for shallow water. Also Keitech swing impact and fiiish minnow 120 (shallow head) are tried and tested fish takers for me. I've even had a few on senkos!

Hope this helps Mike!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Sprat

Rubber lures work but don't last. They are very expensive for what they are.

Have a look at SMILER LURES. A friend of mine makes them by hand out of mahogany, either sinking or floating - some are even neutral buoyancy but that is pure luck and cannot be engineered. The floaters and sinkers can be. The most successful lure I have ever owned, bar none. It takes everything, including carp and chubb! I have a post somewhere else showing the range of stuff these lures have taken - about the same price as other hard lures, but totally hand tuned and one of mine has had over 50 pike now. It has a couple of toothy scratches on it, that's all. Uses Owner hooks and extra strong rings only. Look up Smiler Lures on facebook. You will see loads about them then.

16. Blanker