The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Guys I have spent many years chasing pike in the colder months but almost invariably on dead baits. Given my conversion to lure fishing for bass, I am keen to have a go for pike with lures before the weather gets too cold. I am happy that my bass rod and reel should suffice (plus wire trace) but given the tremendous deveopment in bass lures I am not confident that my small selection of 'old fashioned' plugs are quite up to it! I saw a super report from Iestyn Jones and Steve Lewis using a Deps Buzzjet but what other plugs should I be looking at?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Andrew you dont need to spend loads of cash on expensive lures.
For surface work you will get tonns of fun with lures like the Heddon Crazy Crawler (my best surface lure over several decades),these are totally brilliant and very exciting to use especially in shallow water.
For sub surface work try something like a Rapala super shad in either the Perch colour or the silver colours etc.You can make these fish very shallow if you keep your rod up and just keeping in contact with the lure.
For deeper work (if you need to) try any of the Invincable lures from Nils Master.
Basically you want something for sub surface that you can work slow and make it 'wobble' and 'wallow' in the water,forget all those buzzy fast type lures and go for a nice wallowing action(just like you were wobbling a deadbait).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Andrew, I fished for pike on lures for the first time earlier this year (you can find the catch reports from the Welsh section around Feb/March as we went a few times). What I can confirm is that your bass gear with a suitable wire leader is fine - we landed pike to 10-12lb no problem even on the Bushwackers. I didn't purchase any new "pike" lures and caught fish on suspending and sinking crystal minnows, wieghted shads and more recently on a small chug bug and a Sammy! There are plenty of good lures for pike but I bet loads in your bass box will work too in either summer or winter.
More experienced guys will give you some more specific answers (Like Nick above) but Vidar, Iestyn Jones (check his blog), the Lewis twins etc will all chip in I am sure.

Reactions: Andrew Walker

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. I cant resist buying a couple more lures as per Nicks suggestion but I do have the odd bass lure (far too many!!!) so I can experiment with these as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Andrew you dont need to spend loads of cash on expensive lures.
For surface work you will get tonns of fun with lures like the Heddon Crazy Crawler (my best surface lure over several decades),these are totally brilliant and very exciting to use especially in shallow water.
For sub surface work try something like a Rapala super shad in either the Perch colour or the silver colours etc.You can make these fish very shallow if you keep your rod up and just keeping in contact with the lure.
For deeper work (if you need to) try any of the Invincable lures from Nils Master.
Basically you want something for sub surface that you can work slow and make it 'wobble' and 'wallow' in the water, forget all those buzzy fast type lures and go for a nice wallowing action(just like you were wobbling a deadbait).
Buzz baits slowly crawled in the surface last week were fantastic. Some people make the mistake of thinking a lure has one application only or is specific to one set of conditions! It's all in my blog.

·
Registered
540 Posts
lure choice is a massive subject in itself with huge variables. Alot would depend on the type of water(s) you intend fishing which again change through the seasons! Fox and Savage Gear produce excellent quality lures and have an extensive range very reasonably priced as well so make a good starting point. I mention theese two amongst the countless other companies as I was a consultant of both and have tested, used and caught on a huge amount of their products from small rivers and drains to huge man made trout waters in every conceivable weather and season!!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I agree with the advice given above Andrew, I myself have caught on all different types of lures this season, Surface, Sub Surface and SP's, from plugs that have cost me a couple of quid to the high end Z-Claws, Patchinko and the Feed Shallow, most have been caught with a 7ft rod and 4000 size reel so your Bass gear will be fine, just get out and try what you have already and see what happens, let us all know though :p

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys old age and senility is taking its toll!!! Thanks for the advice and I will read your blog Iestyn!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
First of all, lure fishing for pike will catch fish all year round and not only in the warmer months. I’ll admit that in the depth of winter lure fishing is harder, but I’ve had fish to over 25Ib in January.

If you are looking at top-water lures suitable for bass tackle you don’t have to spend a fortune on high-tech Japanese versions (although I freely admit among my personal favourites are Shimano Triple Impact, Imakatsu Devil Ripper Zinga and Deps Buzz Jet) as traditional lures such as Zara Spook, Wounded Spook and various version of buzz baits will catch fish any day of the week.

When it comes to sub surface lures I have to say spinnerbaits are among my all-time favourites and are almost unsurpassed in adaptability. A spinnerbait can be fished fast in the surface much like a buzz bait, deeper in water column at medium speed or slow rolled over bottom structure or weed beds. Spinnerbaits are also among the best weed less lures there are and can very often be retrieved straight through a weed bed.

Another lure I would never be without pike fishing is unweighted soft plastics in the 4-6 inch range, which will allow you to adapt the chosen jighead to the conditions and depths you are fishing. In terms of soft plastics I would carry paddle-tail shads, twin-tails and single-tail grubs.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andrew,
Off to the bargin bucket with you, really no need to buy expensive lures for pike, I wouldn't even use your bass lures. As there are much cheaper lures that will get you plenty of action Pike-wise.
I totally agree with Vidar with regards to spinnerbaits-awesome lures, I have caught on them in lakes all over the country. Sink and draw retrieve is almost unfair on the pike at times-they love it.Size wise 1/2-1 &1/2oz, with either double willow blades or a larger single colorado blade, colours pretty much any colour will work, but orange/red and black, and white and silver and all chartreuse, tend to be my favourates.

I wouldn't be with out a spook/super spook for topwater, casts well, gets good reactions (big splashy hits!) and is surprisingly tooth proof.

Another lure I would be without is the good old weedless spoon, something like the Moss Boss or the Rapala Minnow spoon. Both cast well, and so many ways to fish them. From chucking them on to the lillies and twitching them along, to dropping them into gaps in the weed, to slow rolling them along the bottom in mid winter.

And if you can find them-Mann's 1minus in the 28g size gets lots of pike.
Andrew there is a good lake for lures not too far away, fun starts in Oct-will give you a shout

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Andrew,
Off to the bargin bucket with you, really no need to buy expensive lures for pike, I wouldn't even use your bass lures. As there are much cheaper lures that will get you plenty of action Pike-wise.
I totally agree with Vidar with regards to spinnerbaits-awesome lures, I have caught on them in lakes all over the country. Sink and draw retrieve is almost unfair on the pike at times-they love it.Size wise 1/2-1 &1/2oz, with either double willow blades or a larger single colorado blade, colours pretty much any colour will work, but orange/red and black, and white and silver and all chartreuse, tend to be my favourates.

I wouldn't be with out a spook/super spook for topwater, casts well, gets good reactions (big splashy hits!) and is surprisingly tooth proof.

Another lure I would be without is the good old weedless spoon, something like the Moss Boss or the Rapala Minnow spoon. Both cast well, and so many ways to fish them. From chucking them on to the lillies and twitching them along, to dropping them into gaps in the weed, to slow rolling them along the bottom in mid winter.

And if you can find them-Mann's 1minus in the 28g size gets lots of pike.
Andrew there is a good lake for lures not too far away, fun starts in Oct-will give you a shout
Spot on Dave.............

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Andrew

Don't forget spinners and spoons. My most successful lure is a Mepps Aglia size 3 copper.Toby lures are also very good but any spoon, silver or copper is a useful lure. Spinner baits are favoured by many and you can by them at a reasonable price from Jennifields - http://www.jennifieldstackle.co.uk/

David
Yup, I can vouch for the spinnerbaits from Jennifields as I have used a handful of them for quit a few years. They are very good quality for a more than reasonable price, and he has by some distance the best selection in the UK.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers fellas! Lots of stuff to digest and I am looking forward to my winter piking more than normally do armed with the lure rods as well as the dead baiting gear!

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I go pike fishing with my lures I always take my Zonk 77, this lure is the amazing 10 minutes after my carp fishing I decided to have a spin with it and caught 5 Jack Pike in a matter of 10 minutes. The smile on my face was something else as you would imagin.

Anyway just fort I would say what I use :)
Thanks Jack

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jack and well done on those Jacks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice pic Milan! You are looking at shelling out £120 min for a jerkbaiting outfit though, at least if you want a multiplier which will last more than half a season.

Look at this for some seriously good info on pike fishing with lures. A touch dated now but still all very applicable and a great resource:

http://www.dlst.co.uk/articles.html

Oh, and be sure to get yourself a good pair of cutters in addition to your usual long-nosed pliers. Knippex are the best. A couple of trebles snagged in the rakers on a lively jack is a nightmare otherwise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice pic!

Looking at about £120 for a reasonable jerkbait set-up, plus all the lures of course! Here's a great set of articles, albeit a bit dated:

http://www.dlst.co.uk/articles.html

Remember to get some cutters (the best are by Knippex) so that you can get out difficult hook-ups. If you're using trebles any bigger than size 2 (most serious pike lures have 2/0 or 3/0 trebles) you won't be able to use cheap side-cutters, you need something more akin to bolt-croppers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts