The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never done any freshwater lure fishing before, I've read Pike and Predator magazine quite a bit but that's kinda like running before you can walk, it's helped me a lot with watercraft and fish behaviour but I need to know the basics!

I've moved to an area where I know there are some collosal pike in a nearby lake which is whetting my angling appetite but it's in a pretty "lively" location so I'll need to travel light (I'm assuming most of you will have heard of Moss Side!!!!) so what's the basic set up and essentials for mobile, urban Pike and Perch plugging?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
All your Bass gear for Pike and maybe a lighter set up that will handle 1-5gm Mepps spinners for the perch :-D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Supposed to be loads in the bridgewater near kellogs mate looked into buying my licence today as i fancy doing a bit of this too . If your fishing near moss side mate might be worth giving **** a call to see if tenryu do bullet proof vests:wink:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it just a case of a wire trace instead of a leader? If so, is it tied directly to the braid or via a swivel? Does the wire trace rule out surface lures?

The plan is to travel light enough to dodge the gunfire Keith, Matrix style!!! (at night it's a flipping scary place, but it'll be deserted at dawn on weekdays....)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rob,tie a geenie clip on to your braid.Make your wire trace with a swivell,then about 12"
wire to another swivell with a cross lock attached.This will make it easy to change traces
if you need to.
Your biggest problem may be weed.........................

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob,tie a geenie clip on to your braid.Make your wire trace with a swivell,then about 12"
wire to another swivell with a cross lock attached.This will make it easy to change traces
if you need to.
Your biggest problem may be weed.........................
Haha! Yeah, I'm sure it's quite pungent in an evening! :rollineyes:

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
There is no doubt that smaller lures will catch big pike but bigger soft plastics, spinnerbaits and jerkbaits in the 11/2 to 4oz range are a lot more consistent big fish catchers. For these types of lures a baitcasting rod fitted with a multiplier reel that is filled with 50 to 80Ib braid is without a doubt far superior to a spinning rod outfit.

For perch a standard light spinning rod outfit that will cast lures between 5 and 15 grams will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah! Thanks Vidar, I hadn't even considered my Revo and STC baitcasting set up! Why such strong braid though?

·
Registered
268 Posts
The bridgeie at Kellogg's use to be good way back but it has been fished out. Watch out for the needles at Alex park. Try Salford keys some big ones' in there. Use your Bass gear I do but did get a few big lures. Use a12" to 18" wire trace. Just tie it direct to line. Topwaters OK with wire traces. Did also load a spare spool with 40lb braid some of the big lures are heavy. Good tackle shop in Blackley called rod and line hundereds of lures' in store and will give you help with waters ect

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Ah! Thanks Vidar, I hadn't even considered my Revo and STC baitcasting set up! Why such strong braid though?
Simply because if you get an overrun with lures in that weight range anything less will snap like cotton and you definitely don’t want a 2 or a 3oz jerkbait fitted with 4/0 treble hooks flying through the air.

Reactions: Rob F

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rob, your bass gear if fine. Ive caught loads of pike on my bass lures - Gunfish, Zara Spook, Chug Bug, Mag Popper, Feed Shallow, X Raps. Had a 16.5lb fish take a Mag Popper off the surface a couple of summers ago, good sport on a 40gm rod.

The wire trace doesnt affect the lures at all. If I were you id buy some small snap links to attach lures, some decent small swivels and a roll of the knot 2 kinky wire from AGM. All you need is a 3 turn clinch knot to attach wire to clip and swivel.

Catching is easy, the part where youll probably need help is unhooking them once youve landed them. Easy with experience though

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm off pike fishing soon with a pal. Just waiting for him to get a free weekend. It's only a little lake (2-3 acres) but there are pike up to 20lb and perch. Can't wait!

Anyway, can anyone suggest some good pike blogs and books so I can do a bit of reading up? I already have our very own Iestyn's and Danny Parkins blogs, but can anyone point me to a couple of other good ones rather than googling them and having to sort the wheat from the chaff? Also, any good pike books out there I can get from the library? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Cheers Si, I'll probably get that as I definitely need to get a pike/perch book... Just wish we had zander over here too.

When I win the lottery I'm going to buy a country estate that has grounds right next to the sea and I'm also going to build a pure predator lake and have some serious specimens in there. Heaven. You and all the other Welsh lads can come down and have a bumble. You can fly down in my private chopper.

Got to have dreams!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts