The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anybody is using pike lures for bass fishing the likes of salmos/bulldawgs/shad raps etc.i have a huge collection of pike lures thinking of using them on the coast.its a sin to have so many lures and have to buy more for bass fishing.this is shore fishing i am talking about.any lure could be used from the boat.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
just wondering if anybody is using pike lures for bass fishing the likes of salmos/bulldawgs/shad raps etc.i have a huge collection of pike lures thinking of using them on the coast.its a sin to have so many lures and have to buy more for bass fishing.this is shore fishing i am talking about.any lure could be used from the boat.
Bass can take a livebait of some considerable size so I’m certain that quit a few pike lures would work just fine. However, I would go for the more minnow shaped lures if I personally were to use them, and avoid lures with a big profile such as many Salmo’s and the Shad Rap.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
and avoid lures with a big profile
Mm,

It's a thought........no doubt many "Pike" lures will be capable of crossover'.....as many Lures could successfully bridge different predator species. It's a mistake to think of Lures as being species specific, as we all know.
However I wouldn't let the "Big Profile" unduly infleunce a trial.....the size of some Mackerel that are succesfully Livebaited' ( as mentioned), don't seem to deter ol' Labrax at all.

If you find the Mackerel shoaling Greg, put one of the "big boys" under them, you never know and you already have the gear for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alan
was thinking along those lines myself.suspending plugs could do real damage.most pike lures profiles are not any wider than your average mackerel.gives me a new lease of life for my pike lures.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Greg,

Not sure about Pike lures for Bass, but i know Bass lures for Pike work, I have caught a number of Pike on Z-Claws and Pachinko's so I don't see why they wouldn't work the other way around :-D

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi greg
ive been trying a spro bbz1 4" swimbait recently looks fantastic in the water had one follow from a really big bass 8/9 lb who just sat there looking at it, for what seemed like ages while i prayed for her to take it only other interest was a bass under a pound who really nailed it. i say try your pike lures you never know

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
No doubt that you can hook a bass on many pike lures, but I have to say I remain wholly unconvinced that the lures described in the original question would be much fun to use for bass. A 4-5oz Bull Dawg or the normal Salmo pike lures such as Fatso, Slider or Warrior, which all weighs in between 3 and 4oz requires some serious kit just to cast them. Any bass less than double figures are not going to put much of a bend in the rod.

The bulk of the most used pike lures also come fitted with huge treble hooks in the 3/0 to 5/0 range that I personally would not recommend for bass. Please, remember that a 10Ib lure caught bass is a fish of a lifetime, but a 10Ib pike is little more than a tiddler.

You definitely don’t have to spend a fortune on bass lures. An Abu Tormentor is cheap as chips and will catch both bass and Pollack in abundance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pike/sealures

vidar
it is not the cost that is the issue it is that i probaly have a stock of 3/4 hundred lures.and was thinking i dont need any more.i would not use a bulldawg for bass was just using as an example.on all my dawgs i cut off the main single hook and replace trebles.there seems to be so many patterns i could use.well i just have to sort through them and not bring to many with me.roll on the good tides.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Greg,
If you have any Zalt Zam (160mm) lures in your collection, I would give them a go, and feel reasonably confident.
Another ure that I have been thinking about trying is the Manns baby 1 minus, good shallow runner, has a rattle, could prove useful in coloured water or at night.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pike/sealures

dave
good thinking have a good few zalts in float/sink/susp they are worth a try.have a few bombalong As as well.this thread is starting to open a great door.lots of other lads probaly in the same boat as myself.keep it coming lads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not quite the answer to the question, but for the last two seasons I've fished nothing but a Ron Thompson Bass Buster popping bug for pike. With a steady retrieve in cloudy weather it has caught me more and bigger pike than I've ever caught before. Don't see why the reverse couldn't happen, but the comments about the heavy tackle you'd need to chuck Bulldawgs and big jerkbaits about is spot on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know this is an old thread but thought I would bring it back to life, I have had 2 really good sessions this year on a small 7cm Salmo slider sinking gs. when fishing in windy conditions these small lures cast like bullets, they are also quite cheap and come in loads of different colours including mackerel.

·
Registered
161 Posts
yes daz got them in every colour under sun and size killer lure for all predators always have few in my box for pike or everything else you been out lately think might try spell today bit windy but nice day see how it goes .rod

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
One point I would mention about using 'bulky' pike lures in the sea is the huge undertow that you experience, especially if there is any sea at all running. Some years ago I experimented with a spinnerbait which to me seemed an ideal attractant for bass. I didn't fish with it long though as the pressure on my lure rod was huge and it was not very pleasant to fish with.

I agree with Vidar, the Abu Tormentor series are good catchers for both pike and bass, especially the rainbow trout one, if you can get them.

David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts