The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick bit of advice please! I have caught a reasonable number of pike on lures before but never taken it that seriously and I was using mono. This winter I intend to use the bass gear for some serious lure fishing.

Conventional bass set up is a short piece of mono (flouro) between lure and braid but given I will obviously have a wire trace for the pike, do you still use the mono as any sort of shock absorber (can't see its needed for much else!) or is it braid strait through to the wire trace?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Andrew,

I have been using Braid straight through to the wire trace and have had no issues what so ever :p

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Andrew,

just a small point........make sure your snap link on the wire trace will pass through the top eye. Easier to "alter" a short length of mono-link above wire trace than re-doing braid everytime you set up. Some snap-links pass through, some do not.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Dont bother with the mono leader just use your braid straight through.
I would use a wire trace of about 15-18".

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Andrew,

just a small point........make sure your snap link on the wire trace will pass through the top eye. Easier to "alter" a short length of mono-link above wire trace than re-doing braid everytime you set up. Some snap-links pass through, some do not.
Thanks Alan

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi Andrew,

using mono between the braid and the wire leader won't do you any favours and will lose you fish at times. the extra stretch will reduce the direct pull onto the hooks on the hit.

hope this helps.

Marc

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Braid straight to a 15" wire leader for me, why put another knot in (that can fail)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts