The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the intial attempt at lure building I gave up. After a conversation with a friend I decided to take a look at customising my current old stock. I needed a darker lure for those cloudy/overcast days. So given the choice I decided to start on a Patchinko. Half way through the planning I decided that if it worked out ok, I would select another lure type to compliment the surface one. Well with the great catch rate it had to be the Zonk, so thats the sinking one sorted.

So i finished them both, still need another attempt to get it exactly how I want but as prototype they turned out alright.

So what i need now is a name for both, feel free to throw some in the mix guys.

Patchinko II

Zonk 120

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice work, I would be interested in what the bass think of them.

Not sure why, but for some strange reason the Zonk reminds me of Papa Lazarou!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Mike would love to know how you went about it? Did you strip the old colours back? was it spray paint? did you laquer or varnish to seal the paint?
Great job on the patchinko reckon it will be a killer in low light/cloudy conditions.
Just call me Mr Pushy....... but seriously I'm intrigued

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
use both at night, on those dark inky nights and/or in coloured water in the day.
Just wake the patchinko dead slow over mirror flat water..killer, or should be.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Mike. As above, any details on how you actually did it? Take the original paint right off or did you jsut work over the top? Lacquer top coat?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Here's a couple I did a while ago, simply rubbed them down with fine sandpaper then several coats of black acrylic spray paint. **** had one for christmas, the other I've got to try this year.

Darth Zonk...

Blachinko...

I do like your sparkles though Mike :)

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a case of choosing a suitable victim, in this case a Feed Shallow 128 Pearl, taking off the split rings/hooks

Take a fine s.paper and test on a small area

Then start working the paper over all the necessary areas till you have eliminated most of the original finishing.

Then you can choose your own customisation, im no expert btw, heres where I am at the mo, few more pimps then done

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks nice Mike. Any details for us on the holo tape and lacquer used?
Tim, still unfinished that one, still try to perfect the use of holographic films. That specific Feed shallow has been repainted and stripped again twice. Didnt want to state the materials used until i was getting the right finished projects (with no issues)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thanks, Mike - was looking good as it was to me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
ive noticed laquers mentioned any of you tried Etex lite?

its a two part epoxy coat the easiest way to find it (or one like it) will be on some pike lures form companies like ace (newer models), basically a fair few of the wood lures are coated with it to make sure your paintwork lasts a little longer

one other thing if you use the car type clear coats beware getting them into contact with soft plastics it gets very messy

ive made a few and resprayed a lot more and i do like my black lures

like the look of the patchiko (spp?) by the way its how i found this forum looking for some topwaters for the pikey things

1 - 18 of 18 Posts