The Lure Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Blanked the over night on the reef, so I was feeling a bit pi*sed off.
So set the alarm clock for PAINFULLY EARLY (4am), and leapt from bed this morning full of joy and happiness-yeah right!! As soon as my sleep addled brain started to function, my ears informed me that it was raining. Bugger.
But I thought I would give it a go - I really shouldn't be allowed to make decisions first thing in the morning.

Got to the mark, and was greeted by ZERO signs of life. This morning just keeps getting better and better, was the thought zipping around in my head as I kitted up. Any way ten minutes later, about 4.50am I was very gentlely walking the patchinko100, and it got thumped. Fish On. Now the early morning, and the rain are forgotten. Smiling like a loony, I landed a bass about 2lb, just lip hooked, so popped the hook free without taking the bass from the water.
Now I am finally awake, and smiling.
Another twenty minutes or so and again the patchinko gets savaged, well roughed up a bit, OK harassed, by a tiny 5" bass. Predation or love? Not too sure what it was thinking. But bass number two slide back in the the water.
Everything went quiet for a while, apart from the rain, which choose this moment to get heavier,......and heavier.
About 6am the rain eased slightly, and a long cast out beyound the drop off. Just gets stopped!!! Fish on!!
Drag it giving line too!!! Straight from the weed beds- a few "colourful" words were muttered as I raced along the mark to cut off the chance of getting weeded. Which I managed (just).
Soon had bass number three landed, 59cm to the fork of the tail, and a proper chubby sussex bass. Beautiful. Quick pics, and back in the water it goes. Really pleased to say that so far all the bass that I have taken the patchinko100, have been lightly hooked and the hooks have proved very simple to remove. Thinking of trying them on other lures.
Well got to work wet with odour of bass on my hands. Brilliant way to start the day. Bass are great, even make standing around in the rain worth while!!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy,
Totally agree, happy to get soaking wet AS LONG AS I AM CATCHING.

Gary,
It is a good lure, the size is spot on. And they have managed to keep that killer patchinko action. I think of it as a " bar snack " sized lure. Offer someone a slap up meal, and they will wonder what your up to, But leave a bowl of snacks next to someone while they have a pint and they will disappear. Same goes for bass/trout etc. A full sized patchinko would get followed/boiled at, it's smaller brother get nailed.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Dave, great report and pics, well worth the early morning start and rain !

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dave, well done again for getting up early. Look slike we will be fishing in the rain at the weekend so this helps. Might have to speak with **** about the baby Patchinko. Can't say the big brother has blown me away yet but that little one is doing the biz for you!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim,
The trick with the patchinko, seems to be slow down, and work it gentlely. No splashing, just the tip of it's nose visible snaking about 3-4" back and forth. I struggled abit too, to start with. Until Mr Patchinko (Bob) kindly pointed me in the right direction. Thanks to him, I am loving the Patchinko.
One thing that I keep noticing is, I catch more bass, when I SLOW down. Literally if you go any slower the action won't work. Bewarned though, when you get the action right, every Gull that sees it will want it.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alex,
Patchinko100 already has back up in the lure box, just in case!!

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
nice fishing dave, I've got to get myself one of those baby patchinko's. Was a neighbour of yours living in Eastbourne (Polegate actually).

·
Registered
849 Posts
Nice one Dave, I wanna see that baby patchinko in action on Sunday

Maybe you could give us a demo and catch a lunker, no pressure! ;)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pete,
I imagine we have fished some of the same marks for bass then. I know Polegate (always passing through to fish further east).

Chad,
Happy to show the Patchinko doing it thing, however if it could magic lunkers on comand it would cost alot more than it does.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tim,
The trick with the patchinko, seems to be slow down, and work it gentlely. No splashing, just the tip of it's nose visible snaking about 3-4" back and forth. I struggled abit too, to start with. Until Mr Patchinko (Bob) kindly pointed me in the right direction. Thanks to him, I am loving the Patchinko.
One thing that I keep noticing is, I catch more bass, when I SLOW down. Literally if you go any slower the action won't work. Bewarned though, when you get the action right, every Gull that sees it will want it.
Nice Bass dude, you've found a place with no rot then lol

I found slow works well in Sussex. Same with the mag popper...really slow retrieve.

Back to Sussex, what with this rot everywhere, it's got me thinking where the Bass inshore are. Thinking about it they must be holding up river a wee bit, either that or offshore but with Dave catching that aint the case.

So have they all fooked off up the rivers, holding out, until this damn rot has gone.....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Dave! Kind of makes me wish I could get up earlier too!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well done on the bass Dave. What are the baby patchinko's like for casting compared to the original one, what sort of distance are you hitting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts