The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have it in my head to take a long weekend in late September - early October somewhere on the south coast (preferably with rocks). I wanted to come down to the Weymouth bash but I'm already booked for that weekend.

I have little experience of rock fishing (40 years ago off of the rocks by Ballintoy Harbour, NI) but I am as keen as the proverbial Colemans.

Pointers to somewhere with even a vague possibility of fish would be most welcome.

TTFN

Andy B

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andy, I had a very product session in the Purbeck area of Dorset in late September last year, Plenty of campsites locally. Although the walk ins to some of the marks can be a bit on the long side. Nothing wrong with hitting Weymouth/Portland that time of year, plus you should be able to get someone to fill you in on which makes were fishing the best during the Comp.
Alot depnds on the weather!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Further to my original idea and question. I am prepared to drive with a max range of about 8hrs in the car. This I believe would get me to Salcombe from Norwich. Taking that travel time into account are there any other venues that might be worth a visit instead? I have looked on google earth and Salcombe certainly seems rocky. But is it fishable? Will I be casting off of a cliff edge?

I am trying to get as much info as I can so that I can make an informed decision on where to go. Any help as ever would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers,

Andy B

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hi Andy,
I have not fished from Salcombe but have walked those entire areas of coasts. You may have a bit of rock climbing to do on the headlands but there are definitely good rocky beaches and shelves on the other side of Salcombe on the estuary. Underneath Prawle point their looks to be some awesome looking marks - but look out for weather - there are some wrecked boats and I believe there is a serious riptide outside of the estuary.
I have fished for bass on the other side of the South Hams peninsula at Bantham Sands (Bigbury bay). I was flyfishing in June and drew a blank; but the guys at 'Devon Angling Centre' in Chillington assured me that in season (esp Sept/Oct), the bass steam up the mouth of the Avon on the early incoming tide at dawn and dusk. Also to the East edge of that bay there are superb rocks for getting into less tide specific bass.
I also eyed up Burgh island (you will have seen it in an Agatha Christie film sometime), which you can walk to at low tide. It seems to have some nice rocky coves?
The wind was to crazy for my fly outfit that time which led me on my path to using plugs and spin rods. At least you can fish in a headwind.
Best of luck.
PS car park at Bantham is £5 after 8.00 am

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hi Andy. Good to meet you the other week, always good to put a face to a name. I didn't see one fish caught in the whole 2 weeks !!

Back to topic, living in the middle of the country my only sea fishing has come from trips to the south coast. I've mainly concentrated on Weymouth area and the rocky shores of east south Devon. Dorset has been the most productive simply because I've put more hours in there. I think thats always the problem when you travel a long distance in a short window of opportunity. You can't pick your tides and you can't pick the weather. To be honest you'll either have to book it and lump it or leave it till a few days before hand to see how the weather is. I'd plump for Dorset as there's more guys from the forum down there who'd possibly give up some time to fish with you, which I think makes your chances of actually catching a Bass far greater. You also have the mighty Chesil Beach which is 2 or 3 times the size of the shingle bank you know reasonably well ;)

All the best mate. Andy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts