The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm in the process of planning a trip over to Ireland for a week or 10 days of bassing, in september. I've never been over there before and really wanted to try and get myself in amonst the better fishing first time. I've had a little look at the internet and read some reviews for Cobh, Cork Harbour, for which there are some benefits namely, having the use of a small boat to fish from. But its on the south east coast so maybe not as much surf, which is what I'm used to. I've heard theres some really good estuary fishing over there, (tidal sand banks and gullies, etc)?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, give me any advice, (places to stay, guides, marks, etc),

PM me if necessary,

Thanks very much

Simon

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I fished the Waterford area last September for a few days. Had a stunning time (couple of pics in the "Picture" section below). There are a few Irish lads on here who are far better qualified to advise you though, so i'll leave it to them for now.

I've got 2 trips firmly planned in at the moment (including one in September), and am gonna try and get out there 3 or 4 times this year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Simon, i would recommend staying in Youghl, nice seaside town, Cork only 45 min away,Dungarvan only 20min away,Waterford-50min away.That gives you excelent fishing opportunities.As for guides Arthur Daly for Dungarvan and Jim Hendrick in Wexford,sorry don't know enyone in Cork.Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Even though my SE Irish trip was a disaster weather wise...
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to visualise the massive scope available to the lure angler.

I reckon, get the weather and sea conditions right and the fishing could take care of itself.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hi Simon, i would recommend staying in Youghl, nice seaside town, Cork only 45 min away,Dungarvan only 20min away,Waterford-50min away.That gives you excelent fishing opportunities.As for guides Arthur Daly for Dungarvan and Jim Hendrick in Wexford,sorry don't know enyone in Cork.Hope that helps.
Youghal has some good fishing of it's own as well. You could fly fish up the Blackwater for salmon, fish the estuary for flat fish and bass, orfish the rocks for pollack, wrasse and bass.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Even though my SE Irish trip was a disaster weather wise...
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to visualise the massive scope available to the lure angler.

I reckon, get the weather and sea conditions right and the fishing could take care of itself.
weather killed my trip last year too - soooo frustrating as I saw more big bass in schools than Ive ever seen before

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys will have a look into those areas, I have also been looking at the bellavista hotel seems like a pretty good deal to me, and if theres as good a chance of getting some big bass there then that may well be the best option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts