The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Boga's are sorted!

Pliers are next on my list

I do know how to use search and have allready read back through all threads that have mentioned pliers.

I just read a thread where Mark had got the snowbee pliers back in april and thought they where the dogs nuts and was well happy with them and they where a fixture on his belt, spoke to him about them last night and he does not even take them with him anymore - so what might of been great buy a few months back might be rusty and jammed now!

So does anyone have any advice on tried and tested Pliers up to £100

They have to be able to be forgotten and left without cleaning at times as dont always mean too but it does happen , and nothing worse than leaving something for a few days and going back to find them all rusty!

Simon i'll await your suggestion of some £200 plus ones m8 :)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Dave,
The Duo pliers that **** has/had or can get have a hell of good reputation, I think Keith or Kevin White might have a pair-Definately worth a look

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I use the Accurate ones but the jaws tend to skid on big hooks (read 8/0 trebles lol) does ok on the smaller stuff ... 2 years+ with a couple of rinses a year and still going strong ...

The Snowbee ones are good for the cash - not sure on long term though ... Duo ones look the nuts!

You can go silly - Fisherman or Van Stall or Abel ... or even go Ti ...

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
It has to be said that any pliers that have hardened 'high carbon steel' jaws are going to rust no matter what the makers description is.
Stainless (lots of types) will corrode eventually.
If you want corrosian proof pliers the only way to go is to go the whole hog and 'invest' in some that are Titanium with some sort of 'ceramic' jaws.
Saltwater is nasty stuff and will eat almost everything.
High carbon steel will rust like 'mild steel' because of the high carbon content and even some stainless materials that have a high 'chrome' content will rust away happily eventually.
Some jaws are HCS that is plated to postpone the inevitable corrosion but as soon as you use them and some of the coating comes off the edge,if neglected they will start to go rusty.
Van Staal titaniums anyone......................

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Forgive me for swearing and don't tell anyone, but I have some Fladen ones with a very good cutter outside the jaws. I rarely use scissors now.

They are great. Do I sound surprised myself? Probably. They have survived quite a few trips on shore and boat including a week boatfishing in Norway.

Good VFM I'd say, but no doubt they aren't flashy enough for some, or submersible enough for others ;-)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The duo ones we use have been very good.

I would like outside cutters though a la VS pliers and a stronger set for cutting hooks etc.
But, for what they do, the Duo ones do it very well, they have been submerged countless times and are still in very good condition.

We have the split ring jaws in ours as we do alot of tuning on the water and that feature is very useful.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Just a foot note, I have some VS ones on the way, will probably have them myself but if anyone wants to have a look at what a couple of hundred quid gets you then by all means let me know. I should have them later this week.

The Fladen ones Paul is on about are indeed great, Trev Sangan has a pair and he swears by them.

Quantum make some brilliant ones, Nathan uses and abuses them.

The Snowbee ones are very popular, I have sold dozens of pairs and had no come backs, I have spare blades for them too which is handy.

Like Keith says, the Decoy ones are excellent poeces of kit, but I do believe they are better as a tool for tuning/altering/cutting line and replacing rings etc, rather tha fish unhookers.

As far as I have heard they all cut braid very well too.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Have to say that athough I don't tend to think much of Rapala uk tools, Cliff's pliers are great, and very reasonabably priced-and they do a titanium version!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
My long nosed pliers cost £1.49 from a pound shop (surely a case of mis-selling). The first time I introduced them to salt water I could see the surface metal visibly oxidise before my very eyes! However since going from gunmetal to brown in 30 minutes, they have continued to work all season and still cut hooks out of my hand when needed. Given my propensity to drop such items out of my pockets when on the rocks or overboard when out at sea, I will be buying another pair next year should my current pair turn to dust over the dark months. They might not cut braid but the "single use" scissors I recycle rather than place in the bin in my health care setting work place, cut braid well enough for something that was free.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think that anyone who spends £100 on a pair of pliers needs thier head examined! :-D

Spend a fiver, get some cheap shit ones from your builder's merchants. Even if they only last a year, you can still buy another 19pairs before you've spent £100!

£100 on pliers!! i've never heard something so ridiculous in my whole life! and I do own some pretty expensive tools myself.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
They will last Tom. Spend £100 on a Boga Grip and it will last practically a lifetime, I should imagine pliers would be the same, with some simple care.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It is like most other things in life i.e. there is more than adequate and then there is desirable :lol::lol:

WW Polo brings you from A to B pretty well, but boy isn’t the same journey in a Ferrari many times more enjoyable :evil::evil::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
They will last Tom. Spend £100 on a Boga Grip and it will last practically a lifetime, I should imagine pliers would be the same, with some simple care.
True that, but I reckon a cheapish set will last well with good care. Problem is, we want ones we don't have to **** around rinsing off after we've been out!

It is like most other things in life i.e. there is more than adequate and then there is desirable :lol::lol:
indeed! lots of fishing kit is terribly overpriced IMO, just because there's gear sluts like us who can't help but buy shiny expensive things!

I do really love having good kit, whether it's for fishing, hammering, Djing, whatever. I'm a sucker for the shiny expensive stuff!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

WW Polo brings you from A to B pretty well, but boy isn’t the same journey in a Ferrari many times more enjoyable :evil::evil::mrgreen::mrgreen:
A great philosophy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts