The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many hours of use do you feel you can get from a plug, be it a £5 or £20 one. I have not fished one to 'death' yet, but seeing some being literally 10 casts old or so, and having some deepish scouring on their flanks. What causes the trebles to wear away at the finish, does it happen on a steady retrieve, or is it due to overworking/jerking?? Has anyone found a plug to become less effective with heavy wear to the finish.

Looking forward to one of mine eventually becoming very tatty, as I want to have a go at painting my own etc...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
What causes the trebles to wear away at the finish, does it happen on a steady retrieve, or is it due to overworking/jerking?? Has anyone found a plug to become less effective with heavy wear to the finish.
It's called hookswing.
Not many plugs are immune.

Worn plugs catch fish just fine.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
...and it happens much more in transport than while you're actually using it. I think it would take a LOT of hours to wear one to absolute death.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
...and it happens much more in transport than while you're actually using it. I think it would take a LOT of hours to wear one to absolute death.
Bens right, but hook bonnets or lure trays helps alot. I like old lures that are dulled, but I dont like big arched scratches from hooks on the side, but it doesnt seem to put the fish off.

·
Registered
364 Posts
try the sakura lure trays - they're really neat and have a channel to hold the hooks that stops them from scratching the lure and stops the lure moving around. holes in the boxes to dunk wash and dry after use as well...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
try the sakura lure trays - they're really neat and have a channel to hold the hooks that stops them from scratching the lure and stops the lure moving around. holes in the boxes to dunk wash and dry after use as well...
Brilliant Egi trays too. The slots hold the weights in line and they are great for 2.5 thru 4.0 sized Egi's in the large size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts