The Lure Forums banner

Plugging reels available to us.

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Marq 
I have the Van Staal VSB 150 and the 100............

If you need a fully waterproof reel, they are awesome.

But I would be lying if I said that I have not had a few problems with mine, and specifically the 150 that I had first and to be honest, have used the most.

Bits literally fell off it when I was out in Argentina, and quite frankly it annoyed the hell out of me. By the skin of its teeth it kept me fishing. Van Staal could not have been better in getting it shipped back to them and mended, but in my view it should not have happened.

Nothing has gone wrong since then, personally think I was just unlucky. A more "modern" kind of spinning reel is a whole load smoother to use, but does a smoother reel make a better reel ? Personal choice, as always.

I reckon in the main that the Van Staal reels are built for purpose - I enjoy using something like a Stella a lot more than I like using the Van Staal, but a Stella doesn't like being drowned. Again, this is just personal opinion though. I know a few guys who are almost welded to their Van Staal reels......

I do think the drag systems on the Van Staal are incredibly smooth (that word keeps on coming up, sorry), and the amount of drag you can put on is fine for our bass - wanted to wind mine up further for some messing around with GTs I was doing once, but that just be me trying to horse the fish too much.

Hope this is of some use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.