The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am fortunate enought to be heading to Australia at the end of the year for 3 mths. I just wanted some advice re getting a plugging rod for use there. I was thinking of taking my teklon 802 but just worried that it does not have enough grunt to cope with some of the bigger species. I know it should be fine for the flat heads and bream etc.

Has anyone had any experience of fishing there? Any idea for tackle that I should take with me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Jon, depends where your heading for and what species you are planning on targeting??
To be honest I would think about buying rods/lures out there, don't have to pay much, some good budget gear easily available.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I lived out there for a year. Like Dave says, lots of very good tackle out there and cheap too. The fishing for bream and flathead is great fun on light gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon, depends where your heading for and what species you are planning on targeting??
To be honest I would think about buying rods/lures out there, don't have to pay much, some good budget gear easily available.
Thanks Dave

No entirely sure as of yet what will be doing - would love a trip up to top end to do some Barra fishing! Thanks for tip will prob get gear out there, and just take my reel with me

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lived out there for a year. Like Dave says, lots of very good tackle out there and cheap too. The fishing for bream and flathead is great fun on light gear.
Thanks Mike -

would it be worth getting a lighter teklon 7" version to take out or should I just stick with getting stuff out there? Any good shops in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne that you have been too?
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jonathan
I also lived in Aus, a year in Brisbane and a year in Darwin and fished alot. As you say the fishing for barra (and generally) is fantastic in the north, although good locations are quite seasonal depending on the wet/dry season cycles.
Most locals/ guides use short baitcaster rods (5'6"-6' for 6kg line and casting 20-40g) and small curado/calcutta reels with 20-30lb fireline with a 50lb hard nylon leader. This is a great set up for casting at snags/mangroves and "jig-trolling" from a tinnie (deadly in the billabongs with small lures like tilsan barras and Reidys Little lucifers). Otherwise shallow minnow lures (8-12cm) like Bomber 15a are a good choice for barra, with extra strong hooks and rings, gold is a popular colour .
Fishing off the shore or for tunas, queenfish etc a spinning set up with 30lb braid would be great for a general setup with soft plastics and "high speed" type metal lures.
Look for a book in newsagents called "North Australian Fish Finder", published by a guy who travels WA, NT and North Queensland, and has great aerial photos and maps of spots to try.
Drop me a line if you want more specific advice.
Ollie

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Thanks Mike -

would it be worth getting a lighter teklon 7" version to take out or should I just stick with getting stuff out there? Any good shops in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne that you have been too?
Cheers
The two shops I used the most were Fish Outta Water in Manly, nice big shop, plenty of stock and knowledgable staff, the other was Compleat Angler in the city centre. There were a few other good ones around but I can't remember the names of them. You should find all you need in either shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts