The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we are able to use the forum to track down and investigate crime how about this one.

2 kayak's are swanning round the headland off Portscatho Cornwall lifting lobster pots and taking everything they find. It has been going on for a number of weeks and they have been spotted a couple of times. This is theft nothing else.

Now if you have a boat or a means of getting on the water you will know just how many lobster pots their are in the water (millions) and yes they can be a pain, however when you go out and pull your pots week after week to find nothing it dose tend to get tedious, its hard enough to get hold of bait for the pots let alone let someone else take you catch.

How they manage to pull pots in kayaks beggars belief I struggle in the boat! but as i said they have been seen doing it. At least everyone isn't blaming everyone else in the harbour any more.

So anyone with any information please let me know so I can pass it onto our local Police.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
It does happen alot over here too, even commercials pick up other peoples pots, and when they get caught it usually ends in a brawl on the quay. Alot of kayakers do own their own pots over here, usually the colapsing type. One good method that my brother has used years ago to stop these cheeky beggers is to add say 6 or 8ft of a different colour rope into the backline. In this section open up the weave and put in some razor blades from disposable shavers with just a few mil of blade showing......this usually stops the *******s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep very nasty, but I do appreciate where your coming from.
(got any old razor blades)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
As an ex Jersey potter i think thats terrible.

ps razor blades work best!

·
1,866 Posts
It does happen alot over here too, even commercials pick up other peoples pots, and when they get caught it usually ends in a brawl on the quay. Alot of kayakers do own their own pots over here, usually the colapsing type. One good method that my brother has used years ago to stop these cheeky beggers is to add say 6 or 8ft of a different colour rope into the backline. In this section open up the weave and put in some razor blades from disposable shavers with just a few mil of blade showing......this usually stops the *******s.
Be careful what you say. If someone gets hurt a statement like that can land you right in the ****e....sorry...guano............ As can the 1 about treble hooks...!!!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Be careful what you say. If someone gets hurt a statement like that can land you right in the ****e....sorry...guano............ As can the 1 about treble hooks...!!!
And who is going to report it !!!THE GUILTY PARTY the fact that they were lifting and stealing someone elses catch !!!!! serves them right

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had better make sure my phone number has washed of my pot marker buoys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I had better make sure my phone number has washed of my pot marker buoys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats illegal Nigel!

And I agree with Bob, its funny how no one reports there hands being cut open. There is a spate of boy racers over here stealing petrol from boats, usually they take the whole fuel tank out of the boat. Bob and I had ours stolen last year. I believe many of the guys on the small piers have been leaving old fuel tanks with petrol, sugar, wire wool cut up, washing up liquid, sand etc in the tank. Lets hope one of the little pubeless *****s steals one of those cans eh :) Ah its great being a grumpy old git eh :)

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Remember guys,,,,,The way the law works in the UK its the criminal that gets all the protection. Not the victim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem we are having is that even our local coast watch was shouting to them about what they were doing through a loudspeaker and all she got was the middle finger, then they disappeared around the headland.

Our problem is being able to trace them, so the idea that someone would leave some razorblades in the line accidentally (and I mean accidentally) must be to do with the poor quality control in the manufacturing process, is in all reasoning is not a bad one, as long as you don't forget that it could happen when you pull the pots yourself ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

And age has nothing to do with it "Ah its great being a grumpy old git eh"

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I do a couple of pots from the Kayak but plastic lightly weighted any more weight and your likely to go over , i would be suprised if they were able to haul an ordinary sized pot on board with out tipping even with a few crabs in they are almost unmanagable .
Might be worth leaving a note in a few pots something like; you -------g ---k-- hope you d---- you ------ a----e. or similar

1 - 15 of 15 Posts