CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the above poll is closed and the results are as follows:

Weather: 47.37%
Time of Day: 44.74%
State of Tide: 7.89%
(Results published based on 76 voters)

Thanks for taking part in this poll, and to follow up a discussion based on your vote would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Very odd. But then Paul, I guess a lot of the members do not have the tide range we have!! If i didn't look, pop out and find no water in sight.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I think you might have something there Andy, Around Sussex I can target bass pretty much whatever the tide is doing, Although it does tend to make a difference to the quantity and quality of what you will catch.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I can target bass on all tides but the difference is that I might need to trudge a mile over weed and rocks etc to get to low water rather than a few steps further down the beach.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Given the size of your tides and some of the pics you have posted- A mile over that ground would be hard work. A really big tide here is only 7 meters, and like you said-just a few more steps down the beach.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
7 metres high to low? Our biggest are just over 10m range so not that different but a lot of our bass ground is very shallow so the sea simply vanishes.

A mile is extreme, there are deep water marks where you can fish off the same rock a different height above the water of course.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Our biggest ranges only go just over 4.2m Spring low to Spring high. Every now and then, about once a year, they might make it to nearer 5m, but never actually reaching the full 5, lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
First consideration the weather??? Kinda says to me that if its less than comfortable, then all too many people - me included - are not willing to tough it out and still go fishing anyway.
Time of day??? Also implies that if the ideal time to be fishing is 4am, then according to the show of votes, its unlikely to be seeing many sets of boots at the shore.

Says to me that basically, what we know and what we SHOULD do are two very different things ;)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andy, 30 minutes before dawn to 45 minutes after dawn is WORTH getting out of bed for, bass fishing wise. Even when that means 3am starts in summer before heading off to work.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It is always weather for me. Well more importantly wind.
If it's in the wrong direction then the sea turns too a brown mucky mess so it doesn't matter what the tide is doing!
Cheers Nath

·
Registered
932 Posts
Those results don't really surprise me.

No matter what the state of the tide or time of day, if it's chucking it down or blowing a hoolie there's no point in going out for most of us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts