The Lure Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so at the moment I've been using a cheap and cheerful 7'1" Okuma with a 5-20g casting range for all of my lure fishing. At time I have felt I could do with something a bit longer and with a bit more backbone to help with those bigger fish. (I got f**king owned by what I can only assume was a big pollack the other day)

I'll be fishing mostly SPs and Metals (the occasional HP will get chucked as well), targeting pollack and wrasse over fairly rough ground, so looking for something with a fair bit of feel but also the backbone to deal with the bigger fish (thinking around the 7-28g/10-30g range, 8'6"/9' would be ideal?) I've got an absolute max of 100 squid to spend as I will need to get a reel and some braid to pair it with too. After reading reviews on here and a few other places have come up with the below shortlist. I'd be grateful if any of you who own/have used these rods could help me make my decision with this.

Savage Gear XLNT Dropshot 9' 7-25g (also looking at the new version, XLNT2 Dropshot 8'6" 10-30g)
Shimano Yasei Red Dropshot 7-28g 9'
Teklon Concept Spin 902L 7-28g 9'

I'm pretty new to lure fishing so any other advice/recommendations on rods/casting weight/length are more than welcome o_O

Cheers lads ... and possibly ladies

·
Registered
497 Posts
My choice from the above would be the Teklon without a doubt. Beauty for the dosh. Very versatile, well built and finished. Won't disappoint!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest the Teklon is the one that when i look at, i really want. Just wasn't sure if the others were better suited to what im looking for, they are half the price and im tight haha

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Jordi, I've waggled the SG Dropshot and its a totally different rod to the tecklon in my opinion. The SG is more suited to soft plastics and whilst it does have some backbone it wouldn't be my choice for stopping a crash diving pollock. I've the 832 tecklon and it's a brilliant pollock rod for the dosh. It would have been my suggestion had you not listed any models.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jordi, I've waggled the SG Dropshot and its a totally different rod to the tecklon in my opinion. The SG is more suited to soft plastics and whilst it does have some backbone it wouldn't be my choice for stopping a crash diving pollock. I've the 832 tecklon and it's a brilliant pollock rod for the dosh. It would have been my suggestion had you not listed any models.
Thanks for the info Ken, however im probably more confused about what to go for now. im assuming its the 15-50g model youve got? Only problem is most of the lures i use are are 7-25g metals and 5-25g SPs (majority are at the lower end of these scales), so my worry is the 832 wont be as nice to cast and work the smaller lures as well and will lack a bit of feel.
I guess my question now is will the 7-28g casting range be able to handle any big shore pollack that come along or should i be going heavier?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah Jordi, the 832 is 15-50 g so not great for feel at the lighter end of the scale. I only use mine now for launching bigger metals and sg eels from the shore and boat pollocking so I prefer it to be heavier. The 802 would give you much more feel for lighter lures I imagine. *Note I've only waggled the 802 but I'm sure it would have plenty of stopping power as well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The 802ML (10-40g) looks like it could be a good compromise between feel and power then

·
Registered
497 Posts
Jordi the 802 will be a very suitable rod for what you describe casting weight wise. Don't be worrying yourself about it lacking power to control big pollack. You will be able to give them the beans with the drag screwed tight no bother. A very good all round choice and won't break the bank. As a comparator, I use the Teklon 732L rated 7-12g for hauling big wrasse from their kelpy lairs all the time without any trouble. It will take a serious bit of stick and bends right through the handle.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jordi the 802 will be a very suitable rod for what you describe casting weight wise. Don't be worrying yourself about it lacking power to control big pollack. You will be able to give them the beans with the drag screwed tight no bother. A very good all round choice and won't break the bank. As a comparator, I use the Teklon 732L rated 7-12g for hauling big wrasse from their kelpy lairs all the time without any trouble. It will take a serious bit of stick and bends right through the handle.
Good to hear Kev cos I got a bit excited and ordered it this afternoon haha. Might even get a chance to christen it if it arrives for the weekend. Cheers for the info though, much appreciated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts