The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out on the boat yesterday not quite appreciating how rough it would be! Got beyond the breakwater in 1.5m of swell with 25 - 30 knots of wind on top of it. :-o Found a little shelter in the lee of Portland and it started to rain. Caught one schoolie of 1 1/2 lbs and gave it up as a bad job after one drift and ran for cover soaked.

Left home this morning at 0730 in bright sun and no wind. Thought I would try Portland again, virtually no wind and nicely overcast. First drift and it looked great, then it started to rain, and rain it did for the next 6 hours. Fished hard over what looked like excellent ground and in some fast tide races, changed lures more than 15 times and caught one small Pollock, had a follow from a Garfish and one swirl from a Bass. Got soaked again. At the end of 2 outings to Portland not any wiser except maybe I should try SPs

·
Registered
990 Posts
I will be up soon to you Nick and we can go through your marks together as i know your Area very well, plus i want to play on your boat again...lol besides i have something that will emprove your catch rate and put it though the roof!

·
1,866 Posts
Went out on the boat yesterday not quite appreciating how rough it would be! Got beyond the breakwater in 1.5m of swell with 25 - 30 knots of wind on top of it. :-o Found a little shelter in the lee of Portland and it started to rain. Caught one schoolie of 1 1/2 lbs and gave it up as a bad job after one drift and ran for cover soaked.

Left home this morning at 0730 in bright sun and no wind. Thought I would try Portland again, virtually no wind and nicely overcast. First drift and it looked great, then it started to rain, and rain it did for the next 6 hours. Fished hard over what looked like excellent ground and in some fast tide races, changed lures more than 15 times and caught one small Pollock, had a follow from a Garfish and one swirl from a Bass. Got soaked again. At the end of 2 outings to Portland not any wiser except maybe I should try SPs
Hi Nick

I donot know where you travelled from to get to your boat but the next time you may wish to check out the wind data for Portland here: http://www.weather-file.com/portland/

Regards

Sean

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sean, i was expecting the wind strength and swell on Saturday but thought Portland would provide more shelter than it did - i need to experience it so i know for the future! Was not expecting the rain yesterday

·
Registered
101 Posts
Saturday was dire Nick weatherwise.

I went out Sunday on a beach not far from where you were fishing as the seagull flies:wink: and had ten bass up to 3lbs on xlayers. All taken in the gutter 3 metres or so out, with the lure cast to the left or right and twitched ever so slowly back. The weed was almost too bad but I found a spot where it was reasonably clear. The first fish was taken in the dark at 5.00am and the last about 7.30am before I had to go home. Plugs would have taken too much weed.

Nick

·
1,866 Posts
Thanks Sean, i was expecting the wind strength and swell on Saturday but thought Portland would provide more shelter than it did - i need to experience it so i know for the future! Was not expecting the rain yesterday
Hi Nick

The link I gave you is particularly good as the weather station is on the Chequered Fort part of the breakwater, which is by the southern entrance. Its also worth checking the inshore forcast on the met office website. One thing you really have to also watch out for in those conditions is the top part of the swell starting to collaspe & produce white water. If you see that in Weymouth bay .....LEAVE. No fish is worth a life.

Regards

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Sean. Spent a few years canoeing offshore between Poole and Portland so i know what you mean. This is what happened on Saturday which is when i went for cover.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saturday was dire Nick weatherwise.

I went out Sunday on a beach not far from where you were fishing as the seagull flies:wink: and had ten bass up to 3lbs on xlayers. All taken in the gutter 3 metres or so out, with the lure cast to the left or right and twitched ever so slowly back. The weed was almost too bad but I found a spot where it was reasonably clear. The first fish was taken in the dark at 5.00am and the last about 7.30am before I had to go home. Plugs would have taken too much weed.

Nick
Thanks at least I know there are Bass in the area! Looking at the weather thought I would try your way at the weekend, looks like I will have to learn to use SPs

·
Registered
101 Posts
Indeed Nick. The SPs have made a huge impact on my catch rates since I began using them last year. As Keith said they are great in surf conditons like last Sunday. Plugs with loads of weed catching trebles would have meant just weed.

Nick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts