The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toying with the idea of a week or so in Portugal anout the mid October..

Does anyone know if the bss are about then (or is it a bit early as I heard their fishing kick off in November)

Are there any areas that produe better than others (like those 2 big estuaries down past Lisbon?)

Anyone know of any guides down there?

All info appreciated

Cheers

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Tom I go to the Algarve area every year at the end of October & the bass are in then although as you say it gets better as you get nearer to December/January time.
There were bass getting caught on lures when I was there six weeks ago. I can point you in the direction of a good tackle shop where you will get good up to the minute info if you head Carvoeiro way.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I may be wrong but i thought we had a member from that neck of the woods in Pierluigi Marzo?!! I am sure a pm to him would at least get some info.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys

·
Registered
129 Posts
So you want come to my country eh? Nice.

To desmistify, that video on my blog is from 2 australian anglers in Australia :)
It's there, in portuguese of course.

You are comingo in October 2011 I think, right?

About guides, there arent any.
Not the "guides" we see in Ireland, USA, France, UK, etc...
Unfortunatly "modern" lure fish is a recent trend down here, I've been fishing with lures for about 5 (almost 6) years and consider myself one of the firsts.
Of course there's lots of guys who had done it before, but maybe less than 50 guys in a 10 million habbitant country.

Most of the "guiding" you'll find is to do some boat fishing with organic bait, or big game.
In my opinion Big Game in here most of times it's just a turist trap.
Of course there are big blue marlins and BFT, dorados, etc, but most of the boats that will take you will charge you a hoarde of money and you'll be lucky if you'll catch some atlantic bonitos, and that with a massive big game tackle sucks IMO.

There is a recent company that started in Milfontes (Alentejo Coast) called "Bom Pesqueiro" that is speciallizing in jigging and soft baiting from boat targeting seabass, amberjacks, groupers, etc..
And they are doing a fantastic work IMO.
If you are interested, I can try to give you their contact.

Now if you are in for shore fishing for seabass, we have some excellent spots in all of our coast.
IMO the best zone in the country is SW Alentejo and part of Algarve that is facing West to the Atlantic.
The Algarve that is facing South can and has produce big fish, but it's not as easy fish, and as poor marks compared to the rest I've mentioned.

I live 30 km's from Sesimbra, and it's shore fishing it's not that great in the area that is turned South.
But, a little bit to the North of Sesimbra there are pretty good rocky marks that is were I fish normally 3 times a week.
They are not easy too walk, and you'll be fishing into some decent surf and swell, but sometimes they produce some good lunkers.
In this region there is also some good beaches with mixed groud (rock and sand) that are very good for seabassing.

I live in Barreiro, which is on the other side of the Tagus river, near Lisbon.
If you come to the Lisbon area, or Setúbal, Sesimbra, etc, I can go fish with you if you want, still I can't promisse any fish :)

Still, If you wanna go to the best I'll happly send you some marks in Google Earth for Alentejo the good part of Algarve.

Try to google this: Almograve, Odeceixe, Zambujeira do Mar, Sagres, Guincho, Ericeira, Praia de São Julião, Praia da Cordoama...there are lots more, but this will give you some general ideas of the fishing spots we really like.

About the estuaries, I don't know about the Douro (up North), but as for the Tejo (Tagus) and Sado, they hold some pretty nice sized seabass (my P.B was caught there, 6 kilo) and in October, if the weather is still warm maybe you can get a tug of war with a meagre (they go up to 70 kilo, I caught a 40 kilo one, of course all on sofbaits eheh).

If you have any questions don't hesitate.

Cheers from Portugal

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pedro - thats fantastic info!! (thanks alot) One of the reasons I was looking at Sesimbra is because its South facing (I thought I would at least be able to hide from the swell if there had been an Atlantic storm) - boat trips will not be on the menu (I know very well how inconsistent big game can be & for the bassing I prefer the shore) - I will take a look at the Bom Pesqueio webpage though.

Im guessing that this place is where you sometimes go http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&sour....42542,-9.196758&spn=0.04996,0.07699&t=h&z=14 - its one of the rock marks I was looking at.

I just took a look at the places you mention - all of them are in a fairly easy drive (Im quite used to a 1 or 2 hour drive to fish) but I would also try the estuaries as they can produce well in Autumn I guess (as you also mentioned).

The Maigre are an estuary target ? - or do you catch them on the rock marks too ? (would my UK bass kit be ok to deal with one of those beasts if I was lucky enough to hook up?) - you also mentiones you use SPs for them - will SPs generally work better in October or will the bass still chase a hardbait?)

Ive not booked anything yet & am still planning (was hoping you would see this thread :) ) - the info youve provided is a major help.

Will keep you updated on the planning & of course if youre about would love to meetup for a spot of fishing !! :) :)

Sorry for all the questions (just makes things easier if you have a bit of local info before going)

Cheers & thanks for your time

Tom

PS of course any info on marks is appreciated

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a link to Bom Pesquiero Pedro? (Googles not helping me much here ;) )

cheers

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
No problem, I'm glad I can help :)

Here in PT we get seabass on topwaters and hardbait plugs all year round, the from October to January/February its considered the prime months to target the biggest seabass and it's a prime time to lure fish. On open shore, in the estuary IMO you can get big fish all year round.

I reckon that softbaits work well all year round, but because when we fish on oceanic beaches and rock marks with 90% of the time with surf and swell, in those spots we tend to use most of the time hardbaits because they will "grab" better to the water and still work decently on the surft.
Most of the times we fish the wave size is from 1,5 meter to 2,5 meter, depending on the place, and lures like the Maria Angel Kiss 140 mm and the Flashminnow 130 MR, who cast well and "grab" water are a classic among portuguese anglers.

Still, softbaits are killers when the sea is calmer and let us go lighter, especially on rocky marks were big pools, riffs and other structures form up.
For a example of a spot like that see the rocky area around Almograve. (South or North from the beach with that name).

On the Tagus estuary I fish almost exclusevly with softbaits because the water is almost always much stained and dark, almost with a "coffee and milk" color, and IMO here slower retrieves and animations, lots of bottom bumping, will produce more than a surface layer plug worked fast (compared to a softbait).

The maigres can be caught from the rocky marks and open beaches but its an odd event, very very rare, still some guys have been lucky enought to caught some while targeting seabass.
Two weeks ago a friend of mine fishing in the Praia da Areia Branca caught a 17 kilo one using a Rapala X-Rap 10!!! At night, in the middle of a rocky and sand mark. AHaha, what an adrenaline rush!

Still, they are much more common in the estuary (Tagus, Sado is more difficult, and the estuaries in the Algarve facing South are prime spots for this specie, for exemple the one in Portimão, but I've not fished in there so I don't know the ins and bits and cannot give you a good advice).

The maigres go offshore in the Winter and only return to the estuaries to spawn and gorge on cuttlefish and mullets from roughly April to October (if the weather goes very cold, they might leave in September or even earlier).

Still, it is believed that some exemplars never leave the estuary and dwell there all year. :)

About your tackle, I think it's more than adequate for both our seabass fishing and the odd maigre that can appear.
Ok, I'll be honest, if you do have a more strong rod, who will take 20 or 30 pound braid and hold that drag pressure, maybe it's a good idea for the maigres, because most of the times we are fishing in heavy structure zones and even with heavy tackle we need a bit of luck for them not to run inside pillars and that kind of stuff.
Still I prefer sensitivity over strenght because for them I like to feel every bump on the bottom.

I usally have two approaches, I'll take a heavier and longer rod (i.e Lucky Craft ESG II 8.7 that is X heavy and XXXFast) for using heavy jigheads (20, 30 grams). Too cast for deep cannals and far away and have power in the figh.
Or, most of the times, my Gloomis SJR 783 with 15 pound braid and a 0,43 mm long fluoro leader, because this one also gives me some backbone but it does gives me lots of sensitivity for short range fishing with lighter jigheads and texas rigs.

As for shore fishing for seabass, when the sea is calmer I use my LC ESG I 8.7 (c.w. 2-20 grams), and I find it more than enough.

Now in the Winter, with bigger seas I use a Shimano Lesath AX 3,30 meters with a c.w. of 15-40 grams or my LC LCF 2.9 meters c.w. 10-30 grams for using bigger lures, like i.e. the Duel Darter.

If you need anything else, just ask, if I can I'll glady help.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Very informative and well written replies Pedro. You have some excellent fishing down there, a definite flag on the map for a visit at some point.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow - thanks Pedro - just the info I was after (bit of a boost to know there might be fish around :) )

Sounds like my kit should be fine - will probably book fairly soon so I will let you know

will speak soon (& thanks again)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Excellent posts there Pedro and Tom. It just proves how lucky we are to have the Lure Forum, it helps to facilitate us to pick the brains of fellow (real)anglers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts