The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago, me and another portuguese TLF member Miguel Carrilho, made a expeditionary recon strike at a new fishing spot, targeting mainly the meagre (Argyrosomus Regius), still seabass was also a probability.

We did knew that sometimes surfcasters (baitfishing) caught some odd ones but most of them small (around the 2/3 kilo mark), still based in our past experience we tought that the new mark had all the conditions to harbor bigger fish.

We fished at night (we like to fish with lures at night).

Miguel Carrilho started fishing with a baitcasting rod and reel (Quantum KVDC666MHB rod with a Shimano Curado 201E7).
Using a 20 gram round weight and a texas rigged 6 " white Slug-Go, he was fishing it slowly with a bottom bouncing retrieve, he caught the first seabass of the night:

I was using my GLoomis SJR783 with the Shimano Twinpower 4000 FB, I rigged a Berkley Saltwater Powerbait Swim Shad (orange and black color) with a Cultiva Rolling Head 10 gram jighead, also texas rigged, and caught the second seabass of the night:

After the quick photo he was released.

The wind started to pick up and then Miguel switched to spinning gear, a Caperlan (Dechatlon) Illicium Team 240 with a Shimano Stradic 4000FC.

I gave a rest to my Gloomis and asked Miguel to fish with his baitcasting gear for a while, I rigged a white BPS XPS 8 " Baitfish body sofbait shad and a Gamakatsu 1 oz football jighead.
Made a few casts and started working the swimbait slowy trought the bottom, giving some rod tip twitches to make it bounce and shake of the bottom.

I felt a slight tap and made the hook set. Fish on!

Some nice long runs, and lots of strenght, after a few minutes of a real tug of war, the fish was ashore.
It was a blast using baitcasting gear, it really gives a lot of control when you can use your thumb to control the drag, still you have to be carefull while applying pressure, too much and *prack* ^^
Here it is, the first meagre of the night:

The line used was 15 pound power pro + a leader of 0,33 mm Seaguar ACE fluorocarbon.

Always a beautiful animal, weighted roughly 12,5 kg.

A minutes later, Miguel rigged a white Xorus Rolling Shad and hooked onto one using his spinning gear.
Had a blast of a fight with really long runs, always a trhill to watch.
I sat back and enjoyed watching my friend fight and took some photos. I didnt fish anymore, my arms were still hurting from the fight with my fish eheheh.
Here it is Miguel's meagre:

A pretty silver fish, she weighed about 5 kg in the grip, after the photo, she was quickly released to grow up to 80 kg ^^.

We have had some more, but that's material for more posts eheheh.

Cheers from Portugal!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Stunning !
What can I say....

Pedro said:
We fished at night (we like to fish with lures at night).
You tell em m8. We've been trying for a long......time.
I think it's starting to get taken note of.

Brilliant post !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stunning !
What can I say....

You tell em m8. We've been trying for a long......time.
I think it's starting to get taken note of.

Brilliant post !
90% of our plugging, softbaiting,etc...lure fishing in general, for seabass and other saltwater predators is made at night.

From mixed sand/rock beaches, piers, harbors, estuary beaches, you name it.

At night predators usually get more active, I don't see a reason not to fish at night.

Cheers Keith!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Wow Pedro, Absolutely stunning fish, great report and pics as well.

Very, Very well done :-D

·
Registered
779 Posts
Top stuff Pedro - you are the man !! :)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Very, very well done indeed :clap::clap:

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Some great fishing there Pedro & Miguel, thanks for sharing that report with us and the info and pics are great!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts