possibly opening a can of worms................. | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

possibly opening a can of worms.................

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Sea Trout

Hi All,

I've been away from angling for 15 years, so be gentle with me!

I want to get back into lure fishing (bass, pollack, but don't really care as long as i catch!). Can anyone recommend any rods and reels for a total budget of around £150?

Oh, and mono or braid?

Oh again, are £20 lures worth the money?

Many thanks,

Mike

I'll stand back and shelter from the onslaught now! ;-)

2. Sea Trout

Savage gearBushwacker 8' 10-40g
    Shimano Exage 4000
    15 or 20lb power pro
    Lucky craft sammy
    tackle house feed shallow
    pack of wave tikki bamboo sticks and some 3/0 weedless hooks and some 7g cone heads.

That will do you all summer

• Like Like x 1
  3. Senior Member

Ok. I'll start the ball rolling with how I think I'd spend £150 if I was starting out again.

I am quite impressed with the Tronix Pro rods for just over £30 or so, the 7' 10" 7-28g should do to start with, coupled with a Shimano Exage 3000 reel at about £60 and 20lb YGK X3 braid @ £20, that leaves about £40 for lures/clips etc, I would buy a Patchinko 2 in 500g and a Dexter Wiggle stick in Mackerel, that should leave enough for some lure clips.

4. TLF Admin Staff Member

Majorcraft: http://www.mrfishjersey.com/fishing...crostage-casting-model-802pe-l-8ft-5-23g.html

And Exage: http://www.mrfishjersey.com/reels/shimano/shimano-exage-4000-fc.html

Braid is the way to go. Powerpro: http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/power-braid-20lb-150yds-yellow-p-808.html

The price of lures is an endless debate, you takes your choice. More expensive lures are, as a rule, built better and designed better. Finding the right lure on the day is the trick whether it's cheap or expensive.

5. Sea Trout

I'm not 100% Tim but I think that rod is rung for bait casters rather than fixed spools.

6. Striper

That rod also appears to Weigh 2kg (more info section) so pretty heavy for a lure rod, unless Mick was on the sauce when he put that one online!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chub

I would look in the classifieds ...some very good deals about. Times are hard!

Or phone Mick at Mr Fish and get a super duper deal. Be done with it in one phone call.

Well that's what I would do.

8. Pollock

9. TLF Admin Staff Member

You may be right Pete... maybe "casting" is a clue? One of the Majorcraft rods will suit Mike. As has been said, ring Mrfish, loads more choice in the shop than the site. :)

10. Sea Trout

Many thanks for everyone's comments.

Looks like I'm going to go for a Rovex Plugger 9ft rod (unless I gets shouts of "NO!!!!!").

As for my reel, either Shimano Exage 4000 FC or a DAIWA EXCELER 4000-X and S SERIES (but i dont know the difference between daiwa's "X" and "S", any ideas?). Which is best?

Mike

11. CoFounder & Retired Admin VIP Partner

Just a note: That rod weighs 127g (the 2000g thing is the postal weight, I will get rid of that for public view though thanks for pointing it out) and it is for fixed spool (not multiplier) it has low rider eyes, its a long cast rod for distance, hence the name "Casting" (does sound like a baitcaster I admit ;))

12. Pollock

The S doesn't have the 'Airbail', but it does have a one-touch folding handle, which I feel is a gimmick and a bit of a liability. The X also has corrosion resistant ball bearings, so better for salt. The X's are also slightly lighter. I'm not familiar with the Rovex rod, though I do have a travel version which I'm not particularly fond of, mainly because it's a 4 piece... I used the Exceler X last season in a 2500... small, but it balanced perfectly with my 8ft Berkley... I personally think the 4000 may be a little large, but that's up to you!

Personally, and this is truly a can of worms, I prefer Daiwa to Shimano. Plenty feel the opposite way though... Find a shop, fiddle with them both, decide for yourself. :)

13. Striper

Bushwhacker for a beginner rod, 8ft 10-40gm can do anything you need! Reel, for that money can't seeing making much difference so exage or daiwa similar. Braid, most people Start on powerpro. Can be good, I had one bad experience so went and upgraded to 8 strand and never looked back. I use 15lb powerline poweshot from Mrfishjersey for 20-30quid. Just make sure the line lays good on whatever reel you do buy or it'll probably give you problems no matter what braid you get. 20quid plugs, for me I'll always buy them. I don't have a problem spending this much on something that's going to catch me plenty of fish. If you don't Want to then maybe start fishing with SP like savage gear sandeels and slugs. Luckcraft lures are good value for money IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Striper

On the head. Spot on

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sea Trout

I've been to Tidal Tackle and The Art of Fishing and after getting the feel of rods and reels. I think I'm going for a Shimano Exage 2500 reel and either a Sakura Sportism 8'6" or a Sakura Neo 8'6" (which I can't really afford, so it'll be the Sportism then!).

Saw some Patchinko's for the fist time, wow! I might be able to afford 2 to start with, any "best" colours? What size? Also heading for a couple of black minnows. Shads?

Best

M

16. Pike

Saw some Patchinko's for the fist time, wow! I might be able to afford 2 to start with, any "best" colours? What size? Also heading for a couple of black minnows. Shads?

Best

M[/QUOTE]

Or as an alternative, the savage gear panic prey. A cheaper alternative at eight quid.

17. Striper

Just get one patch and a decent diving lure or a different TW lure. Colour wise g500 always a good shout

18. Sea Trout

Hi Dave,

Err whats a "TW" lure, and in normal trems what colour is "g500"?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

19. Striper

Sorry mate a TW lure is top water ( surface ) lure and g500 is brownish back silver/see through sides, think sandeel

20. Sea Trout