The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, decided I had to have one last session out in the boat plugging before the weather really turns till april. I had missed all the reasonable weather in October due to work commitments and november was a wash out. I saw my window of opportunity today and decided to go for it. Planned to be out of la collette by 11:00 o'clock but forgot what a sod it is to park the landy and a boat trailer around the harbour mid week.
After about an hour of flaffing managed to get out and headed to a mark near Icho tower, the sea was fantastically calm but a gentle breeze made it painfully cold on the hands. At the mark the water clarity was still quite coloured but could still make out the kelp bed beneath, have fished this mark quite alot over the summer and its always come up trumps for me. Had becided to use the megabass zonk in mullet ( think that 's the colour) as quite a lot of people had been raving about them on other forums, also felt with the water clarity being poor that the bib on front would give me the edge. Second cast and literally seconds into a slow retrieve ( as **** had advised)....... bang, the rod tip was knocking. After a fantastic but all to breath battle I landed a nice 3lb winter jersey bass. Now I was totally made up with this little fella seeing as I thought I wouldn't catch another one tlll next year, but I was totally gob smacked on my next cast when straight away again............. bang. This fish felt something special and gave a really good account for its self, a lovely 6lb bass full of spikes and attitude, and what really made my day was that as a new comer to lure fishing (two years) this is my personal best. Finished of the session with a final bass of about 1lb. All my fish were returned alive, so hope i'll see them again next year.
My christmas present had come early with this winter session and I finally managed to christen my new rod, rod bar 270 (I know I'm new to lure fishing and some may say why have a rod like this but I'm a nurse and I did alot of over time wiping butts for it. So I deserved it). Well that was my christbass present and I really wanted to share It with others as was fishing alone and its not the same when you tell the girlfriend, I mean she thinks Bass and makeral are the same. Hope I haven't bored you all :clap:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Great little read. Thanks for that.

Sod it, I'm going out this weekend no matter what the weather is like. I can't take it anymore.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well done indeed - what a result!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Anyone who has to wipe other peoples butts deserves a Red Rod, Enjoy it ! Cracking report as well, shame you didn't have any photo's :!:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Brilliant! Well done!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Great report.
Love it, nice to see people are accepting that Bass aren't just a summer fish.
Especially on lures.

Now is the time to try these suspending lures I rant on about.
Get em in likely places, jerk em down and WAIT. In these temperatures, 2 minutes
wouldn't be overkill between moving before, re pausing near structure. The water is very
clear right now over here and alot of fish will be harder down so, a long bibbed suspending
lure hovering at 8 or 9ft or deeper in bright light conditions could pay off big time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers guys, yeh can now feel hands and am nursing a nice pint of guinness (alot less troublesom than a confused 80yr old gran). sorry no pics, don't really have much luck with electrics on boats, this year alone i've sunk two itouches, camera and a phone..... bugger. Did see a lone fisherman on a kayak and thought his hands must be colder than mine. :muttley:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Well Done Jamo,
Congrats on upping your PB, A 6lber is a cracking bass. Those red rods do the business on the bigger bass don't they.
Given your results it might still be a bit early to give up for the winter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks tunny. Will be trying my best to get out again really soon, hope we get another window in the weather. and am really enjoying my new rod so will be out every opportunity. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
bugger. Did see a lone fisherman on a kayak and thought his hands must be colder than mine. :muttley:[/quote]

Jamo .
congrats on your fish and a pb well done .......... as for the above kayaker personaly i think his nakasacki would be colder ....

CLOSER TO THE WATER...... :muttley: :rollineyes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks **** and Bob, it was tuesday. I was really chuffed, i was like the fat girl who's just been asked to the school disco. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts