The Lure Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right,

Lets take a constant -- we are SP fishing for Bass from rock marks: so do we pre-rig our soft baits or do we carry a selection of jigheads and SPs and rig on site?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Right,

Lets take a constant -- we are SP fishing for Bass from rock marks: so do we pre-rig our soft baits or do we carry a selection of jigheads and SPs and rig on site?
Erm.... i'm SP fshing for Pollack and Wrasse etc off the rocks/boat.

I started rigging them before (nice to sit in front of th etelly with a glass of red in your hand!) But went out a few afternoons this week and found I didn't have the right jig for the right SP made up, maybe I don't have enough jigs...

Anyway I compromised by finding a few springs in the garage and making some hitchhiker clips and I've wound them onto the SPs. clip 'n go!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
a bit of both for me Chris, I rig some and have some loose. I think I will carry more unrigged ones this year though as it is a pain when you dont have the right combo pre rigged. Good thread by the way.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a bit of both for me Chris, I rig some and have some loose. I think I will carry more unrigged ones this year though as it is a pain when you dont have the right combo pre rigged. Good thread by the way.
****, which ever I chose I will need a bigger bag-- LOL--- 55 litre Imax bag -- LOL.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(nice to sit in front of th etelly with a glass of red in your hand!)
1983 Chateau Carpet Saint Emillion Gradn Cru --- thats more exciting than a Tenryu Injection.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Both I have a selection pre-rigged so that I can just clip them on and go, but I also carry a selection that are not rigged so I can make changes as required.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Not so into SP's as the rest of you but the one's i've pre-rigged before, i find are harder to store than jigs and SP's separate. Things like vios need to be kept apart anyway and I've noticed some of my SP's deteriorate a little anyway if I chuck them all in one box. Scented ones I keep in packets too. So I'd say mostly separate and rig in situ.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Both. I tend to rig a couple in each packet on two diggerent but potentially suitable weights and put them back in the packet.

Remember to always wipe the goo (attractant, release agent, whatever it is) off the front of your SP before trying to glue it to your jighead, sometimes essential but even if not, it always gives a better fixing. :geek:

And beware, after a few years of training I can now successfully superglue my fingers together in seconds without even trying using some of the best glues known to man. So I have a "few real skin lures" wearing my fingerprints!:-(

Self confessed SP nerd. Takes one to know one Chris.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
only 6 months ago I would have said, pre rigged mostly.

Now, pretty much the only pre rigged ones are the left overs from previous trips.

We've done alot ! of soft lure / jig work of late and, as a consequence of that, we've learned much, much more about how critical head weight and lure size/shape affects the fishing.
Going in pre rigged when on 'the pattern', fine. Move or face dissimilar tides, etc.. then rig when you are fishing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Paul,

I was blowing some super glue out of the eye of a jighead and managed to glue my lips together, LOL.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Paul,

I was blowing some super glue out of the eye of a jighead and managed to glue my lips together, LOL.
I must apologise, but I laughed out loud when I read this Squid!!

For me, I keep it all separate and rig up when I'm there. A few times I've got to the swim and it wasn't what I anticipated so I ended up changing rig anyway, so now I just wait til I'm there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts