The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well those that made it to the Sussex Bumble a little while ago, may remember that some of us spotted some bass hanging around the bottom of one of the walls. Now I did post a thread in the HRF/LRF section as I thought a soft plastic would be the best way to get a hook up on these bass.
However Keith White and a few others thought a hard bait would be a better way to go-Guess what They were right!!
I started by casting parallel to the wall and retrieving along the wall-about 4' out from the wall. But got no responce.
Truth be told I stuffed a cast and the lure landed a couple of inches from the wall , on this retrieve, about half way back the lure was well and truely nailled-A really good scrap later (I was thinking it would be about 5lb from the level of fight and the way the bass stayed deep and the big head shakes) up popped a 2.5-3lb bass. Nicely lip hooked to the lure. I wouldn't have thought I would have needed to get so close to draw and hit-but you live and learn. The bass's lure of choice??? OSP RUDRA in Ghost Minnow. Nice lure and it has now earnt it's place in box one of my favourate lures.

Moved back down to my favourate area and switched lures to the mighty Patchinko100 in Cabot!!! A couple of casts later, and bang 2.5lb bass hammers the Patchinko, another scrappy fight and released in the water, no worse for the experience. I had a few casts with a Daiwa Shoreline Shiner 14-F, and was really surprised to get a massive take within a coule of casts, another 2lb bass hit the bank and was returned.
By this time, it was time to head home. the Micro bass that have plagued this mark formost of the year have vanished, seems to be bigger fish have moved in, but they are being cagey. All them seem to be fighting well above their weight-which is nice.
Will post some pics shortly, once I remember the data lead for my phone.

Have to say, If I had to choose one lure for Sussex bassing, it would be the Patchinko100-it has been excellent all year-one of the best value for money lure there is.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one Dave. Were you fishing at water level to fish alongside the ledge? Totally with you on the Patchinko 100 btw. Best buy this year

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark,
Water surface is about 12" below your feet-no rail or anything to get in the way either. But I am discovering that the wall is seriously undercut in place-suddenly don't make standing on the edge feel so safe!!
Felt good to find a problem, get good advice here and the succeed in catching a bass based on the advice.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Nice afternoons fishing!!!! A plan B for the venue now, no stopping you.
Working in Croydon sucks!!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great report Dave, in those immortal words from Hannibal of the 'A' Team, 'I love it when a plan comes together!'

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks James,
It has been a very frustrating year to be honest, ALOT of my favourate marks have been heavily coloured for much of the year-Southerly winds suck in Sussex! But it has forced me to learn, from this forum, and from several excellent local bass anglers.
Some new lures have also really made a huge difference to being able to successfully target some local marks. Season is far from over, hoping to find a few spots where I can strech the season a bit as well.

Also worth mentioning that I revisited the same mark this morning-at first light, looked better as the wind had dropped a bit-got shunked-blanks happen to us all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts