The Lure Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I am being lazy but I have bought a saltiga 4500h for fishing overseas. I have loaded the reel with braid and I am not happy with the line lay. It is level and then dips towards the front of the spool. I have placed one of the spacers in that are provided. My question is to anyone who owns daiwa saltigiais or knowledge of loading reels ,. If I put no washers in which way will the line profile, will it load the back of the spool or the front? Secondly if I put more spacers in 2 or 3 which wasy will it profile the line. I realise I can work this out myself but I am looking for an easy solution from someone who may have this sussed!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
With braid it should be profiled evenly with a bias towards the back - front bias is for mono and how the Stella SW's turn up as default - I had to plonk all three of my ultra thin washers in before I was happy ... I know its not fun respooling (I have a mammoth job in the next couple of weeks of about 4 giant spinners)

Make sure it is going on with a hell of alot of tension - especially if targetting the big fast boys ... line slippage is the kiss of death :'(

I tend to fill a plasterers bucket with 6 inches of warm water drop the spool in, thick wet leather glove and apply that tension - as much as you can till your hand cramps! not the easiest way to spool but you need the tension - I also go for multiple arbour knots with electricians tape to secure the bottom wraps too

·
Registered
779 Posts
With braid it should be profiled evenly with a bias towards the back - front bias is for mono and how the Stella SW's turn up as default - I had to plonk all three of my ultra thin washers in before I was happy ... I know its not fun respooling (I have a mammoth job in the next couple of weeks of about 4 giant spinners)

Make sure it is going on with a hell of alot of tension - especially if targetting the big fast boys ... line slippage is the kiss of death :'(

I tend to fill a plasterers bucket with 6 inches of warm water drop the spool in, thick wet leather glove and apply that tension - as much as you can till your hand cramps! not the easiest way to spool but you need the tension - I also go for multiple arbour knots with electricians tape to secure the bottom wraps too
I set the line lay down the shop & use their spooling machine to make the process faster ;)

should say in the handbook if you need to add or remove

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
profiling

Thanks Alex,
A really excellent reply and leads me to ask you more questions, why the bias at the back for braid and the bias at the front for mono, I understand about line coming over the front of the spool and least resistance for casting is this not thesame for braqid?. You also recommend multiple arbour and knots and insulating tape to stop all the braid slipping. i was also advised to use mono as a base to stop line slippage but I will admit I have not caught anything big enough tropical salt water wise to have to had exert lots of strain, bone fishing on the fly my main experience. My last question my reel is rated for 400m of 30lb braid would you underfill and put 300m? of 30lb or play around until you are happy with line level, what are your thoughts on line level on my smaller stellas I have filled as for mono and so far have had no problems

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have a Daiwa Saltiga Game 3000 and the line lay is fine without any profiling. If your Saltiga has an ABS spool the line lay should be wider at the front, that is the way it is designed to work. I don't believe it should matter if it is mono or braid. The idea being that the wider front of the spool creates enough friction to reduce windknots. It works for me anyway!
If you add washers behind the spool it will effectively move the spool forward, overlaying at the back of the spool causing the back of the spool to be wider.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To Mike

Thankyou Mike I also have Stellas and the concept of the spool is similar and i did wander why the design, now that i have decided not to be lazy I took all the braid off and respooled it under better tension using a slosh 30 with the braid wound back onto it and respooled against the drag, the braid has laid much better.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
the smaller Stellas the line lay doesn't matter so much - for the big boys it is!

off to Mauritius in April for some jiggy and popping fun :D

I would put plenty of 30lb on - just leave a few mm from the lip and slightly underfill :D

Wish I had a line spooling machine Tom - thinking of buidling one out of MDF tbh!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Alex, get your local tackle shop to put you in touch with their Cortland Rep, You used to be able to buy spooling machines from Cortland-Good ones. I used to use one for spooling on backing for big game fly fishing. They were about £120.
I busted a couple of Abel spools with it, so plenty of tension.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Nige by adding another washer I think you are making the problem worse, I think you should have removed one, which would allow the spool to sit a mm lower therefore allowing the line to load closer to the lip of the spool. Well thats what I would have done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts