The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not really one for making loads of adjustments to my tackle. I want to take it out a packet and get fishing. However, IMA lures suffer from hook ware like none other see the pic below taken after 2 heavy sessions.

I lost that lure yesterday :cry: and after 3 sessions of heavy usage and a few fish the paint was at least 50% gone. So what is the best way to protect a lure finnish as I have a new one in the post :wink: and want to get a bit more mileage out of this one. I have heard of using nail vanish but is there anything better?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
WOW :shock::shock: That's some damage Ben.....Have never seen that before.

Has some one changed the hooks?? You must have been gutted at the damage never mind about losing it.................

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Ben
Not to sure what the answer is. I have the same problem with some of my lures and have wondered if i could do anything with them to stop this. But would a coat of varnish etc help? it may affect the action of the lure. It would be useful to hear from anyone who has tried this to let us know what they found.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You could try changing to short shank trebles. That may help but don't know what effect that would have on the lure action......

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Ben - I checked my Sasuke - we pretty much bought them at the same time, and I have the start of that hook damage as well.

Also checked the Komomo and there is a little bit of similar damage.

Will coat an un-used Komomo in nail varnish and try it out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would give it a coat of Enviro-tex it has a rock hard finish and no hook ware will get through it.
You can get it from here: http://www.clarke-coatings.co.uk/envirotex.html
It is much harder than varnish (its a clear drying epoxy) and gives a better finish and also you barely use any of it, iv had some for a year now and have barely used any!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Trev - caught 39 fish on that lure in one week so can not be gutted - as Ivan said over use. Towards then end of its life it was losing some potency - which i put down to the 50% loss in colour.

Ivan - it is an issue with all IMA cut faced lures - the Komomos and Sasuke families. However, the komomo 2 does come in a flashing plate version that has the colours/flash on the inside.

Cheers Joe will have to check that out - especially if it can actually prevent hook ware.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I would give it a coat of Enviro-tex it has a rock hard finish and no hook ware will get through it.
It is much harder than varnish (its a clear drying epoxy) and gives a better finish and also you barely use any of it, iv had some for a year now and have barely used any!!!
Joe !! silly Question really, if you apply this epoxy coating all over the origional lure surface .. will this cause the lures to act differently , sink if its a surface etc ??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I am not really one for making loads of adjustments to my tackle. I want to take it out a packet and get fishing. However, IMA lures suffer from hook ware like none other see the pic below taken after 2 heavy sessions.

I lost that lure yesterday :cry: and after 3 sessions of heavy usage and a few fish the paint was at least 50% gone. So what is the best way to protect a lure finnish as I have a new one in the post :wink: and want to get a bit more mileage out of this one. I have heard of using nail vanish but is there anything better?
Just send them to Ben Field for a season. They'll come back like brand new...ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
That's some damage!! I have to say though, the Sasuke 105's i've been using have the same markings but to a lesser extent. I tend to lose them before it gets that bad!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
At least once, well I think it was Ben I met Harlyn.....

and the guy I met was a great host took me to a mark where he had never caught one and promptly caught 2, I seem to remember!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Is that epoxy not some thing like Alex used to fix the eyes to that rod with out whipping a few weeks ago???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

and the guy I met was a great host took me to a mark where he had never caught one and promptly caught 2, I seem to remember!!
It seems that you are a good luck charm for those named "Ben". Looking forward to the next trip. Lol.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

There's something quite satifying about meeting somebody for the first time and then hooking one on the first cast! lol. Even moreso when 10 seconds earlier you were swearing blind that you'd never caught one from there. It was true as well! Lucky charm indeed!! :p

·
Registered
129 Posts
Joe !! silly Question really, if you apply this epoxy coating all over the origional lure surface .. will this cause the lures to act differently , sink if its a surface etc ??
It all depends on the thickness of the coat, if you apply a thick coat then yes it will cause the lure to sink if it is is floating lure lure, or even become a suspending lure. However if you apply a thin coat (which would still stop hook ware and is rock solid) then the action of the lure is not normally affected. This stuff dries so hard that the finish is bullet proof so you don't really need a thick coat. However if you do use it be careful not to over do it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It all depends on the thickness of the coat, if you apply a thick coat then yes it will cause the lure to sink if it is is floating lure lure, or even become a suspending lure. However if you apply a thin coat (which would still stop hook ware and is rock solid) then the action of the lure is not normally affected. This stuff dries so hard that the finish is bullet proof so you don't really need a thick coat. However if you do use it be careful not to over do it.
Just got some of this Enviro-tex the other day and gone over a few lures with it. Short bristle brush and a thin coating. Have to say its excellent stuff, nice glassy sheen to the lures and its bloody hard stuff. Tried to purposely put a scratch into it and it took some doing. Can't see just general use causing any problems with the finish on the lure.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It is really great stuff, I know some guys who coat every hard lure they own with it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts