The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had a 'waggle' with 2 new prototype rods that'll be out for next season. Got to say, was impressed with them. 2 models I handled were around 7ft and 10-60grm and 7-40grm.

The reel seat looks and feels real nice and comfy in the hand and over all the rods were very light. Didn't get chance to feel them with a reel on, so no real ideas on balance. Butt was nice and short, with the end reaching my elbow when holding it where the reel would be. Low rider eyes, different type on each model.

on the downside, blank thickness didn't look overly great. But it wasn't 'wafer' thin or anything.

Think they're gona be priced around £250. If they fish as good as they look, I think I'll have one for next season:-D

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello mate. I'm back and the tan is wearing off fast!!

When you thinking? I'm off for 3 days first week of october, got 2 weddings to go to for the next 2 weekends!! And planning my own in mean time, so that's probably the next chance I'll get realistically.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hello mate. I'm back and the tan is wearing off fast!!

When you thinking? I'm off for 3 days first week of october, got 2 weddings to go to for the next 2 weekends!! And planning my own in mean time, so that's probably the next chance I'll get realistically.
Bloody Hell,

that's a coincidence. I am getting married the week I return from the Jersey Festival.

1st week in October is fine by me. Let me know a date and I will diarise.

Oh, and who is the maker of the new prototype or is it top secret??

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bloody Hell,

that's a coincidence. I am getting married the week I return from the Jersey Festival.

1st week in October is fine by me. Let me know a date and I will diarise.

Oh, and who is the maker of the new prototype or is it top secret??
Hahaha weird! I'll sort a date this week mate. Not sure I can reveal yet I'm afraid :)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
7' is a funny choice for a rod designed for UK plugging, pretty much a boat lure rod.
However those specs are pretty common in the US - One is a match for a bass rod XH
and the other would be a match for a musky rod. So UK blanks?? or US blanks??
Will be interesting to see how these rods turn out, if they are the ones that have been in development this year-then it isn't a secret.
They have posted the fact they are trying to develop a bass lure rod on several forums.

Tend to agree with other posts on here, a tease is one thing IF your going to reveal the details shortly. But leaving the members drooling for details is mean ;-)
After all, we all love to see new gear!!! Ask them if it is OK to reveal all-as far as the rod is concerned-then post some details.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for causing a commotion. It's Snowbee that are manufacturing the rods, think the going name is 'Sea Bass Special'.

I have no connection or anything, just they're based 2 mins from my work. I dont know as much about rod design as some on here, but they certainly looked the part. I'm sure they'll be making them in more 'traditional' lengths also.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
yip - and lures too........those of you who went to the CLA probably caught sight of a few familiar patterns they have been working on !!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only concern really, is who's been involved in the development of these rods? I know the staff of Snowbee are keen fishermen, but someone must have advised them along the way... Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Interesting info. First of all, any new developments from manufacturers can only be a positive thing.

Secondly, who designs these rods? What are they designed for? Like previously mentioned who would be using a 7ft rod that heavy unless you are on a boat?

Sorry, and this is my own personal opinion, but some of the pople 'designing' rods are out of touch with modern bass fishing. Copying old rods and making them out of new materials is not the way ahead. Even copying 'bestsellers' is not necessarily the way forward, that is just a sideways step. Where is the innovation? Standing still is going backwards.

Also, I have mentioned this before. A lot of people on here have completely the wrong idea about blank thickness. The only piece of the blank you can see without cutting the rod up are the joints and virtually all blanks will have reinforcing on the joints. What you see at the joint end is NO reflection of the blank thinkness. If the blank was that thick all the way up the rod would be a lifeless dog to fish with. The actual blank thickness is likely to be nearer a half of the wall thickness at the joint.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. Some of this is manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon where they see a market emerging. Copying and playing safe is not progress. OK if they are cutting the price and giving us better and cheaper products. £250 is not cheap.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I would say there will be a bag of these of rods fishing the Waterford coastline this week !!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Interesting info. First of all, any new developments from manufacturers can only be a positive thing.

Secondly, who designs these rods? What are they designed for? Like previously mentioned who would be using a 7ft rod that heavy unless you are on a boat?

Sorry, and this is my own personal opinion, but some of the pople 'designing' rods are out of touch with modern bass fishing. Copying old rods and making them out of new materials is not the way ahead. Even copying 'bestsellers' is not necessarily the way forward, that is just a sideways step. Where is the innovation? Standing still is going backwards.

Also, I have mentioned this before. A lot of people on here have completely the wrong idea about blank thickness. The only piece of the blank you can see without cutting the rod up are the joints and virtually all blanks will have reinforcing on the joints. What you see at the joint end is NO reflection of the blank thinkness. If the blank was that thick all the way up the rod would be a lifeless dog to fish with. The actual blank thickness is likely to be nearer a half of the wall thickness at the joint.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. Some of this is manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon where they see a market emerging. Copying and playing safe is not progress. OK if they are cutting the price and giving us better and cheaper products. £250 is not cheap.
Spot on there about rods.
I want to see some more rods in the 7-8 foot area and rated 3-14g and 5-20g range for 'modern lure fishing'.
The 'trend' if I can call it that is towards lighter outfits that are suited to 'our' sort of lure fishing in the UK and I just cant see why anyone would need something 9-10 foot long with massive power and casting 60g easy...........Why ?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Matt,
See if you can talk Snowbee into letting you take a few pics of some of their new gear, I am sure many of the members would be interested to see what they have coming.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some interesting points raised there. I for one don't own a plug that weighs over 28grm. As has been mentioned, Snowbee make some quality gear, so chances are they've sunk a bit of money into the development. Or using the same mandrel as another manufacturer?? Who knows?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Some interesting points raised there. I for one don't own a plug that weighs over 28grm. As has been mentioned, Snowbee make some quality gear, so chances are they've sunk a bit of money into the development. Or using the same mandrel as another manufacturer?? Who knows?
A few people who have them had made a huge fuss (and rightly so) about how rods like the Tenryu Injection have changed their fishing for good. These same rods that were branded as 'rediculously light' by some have landed very large bass and more than a few portly wrasee. The point many people and most manufacturers seem to be missing is that they are NOT rediculously light, just that virtually EVERYTHING else is rediculously heavy!!!!

How about an 8ft 6in Injection? What could you not do with that? How much fun would that add to your fishing? Check out the Loomis/Lamiglas/StCroix etc catalogues and you will find that rods like that have been around for years and used everyday for steelhead. The blanks are incredible in the top end versions, just the build is 'old school'.

It is not rocket science, just requires the right people to take notice!

Disclaimer!!!!! These are my own personal views after spending around thirty years and thousands of pounds searching for 'the right rod'.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts