The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
5. It is hereby prohibited to fish or attempt to fish for bass with any rod, line or weir during the period commencing on 15 May to 15 June each and every year.

Anyone know what a weir is? (apart from the obvious river feature)

Nick

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah!
Thanks Dave

Damn and I was going to build one to try this weekend - not! LOL

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes its not very clear
I think nets are banned in general for all bass fishing so this catches what isn't listed already if that makes sense

Interestingly the signs I have seen up refer to a closed season on taking bass but do NOT make it clear that you cannot even fish for bass during this period
Trying to remember where I saw the signs because I know someone will ask!

·
Registered
990 Posts
What happens if you go fishing for sea trout and hook a bass instead? and if you got caught, would the bailiffs understand or are they idiots?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well you DO need a state licence to fish for sea trout here
So presumably if you have your sea trout licence and you are seen to be releasing the bass they should be understanding
of course if you have a bass or a sea trout dead in a bag ready for your dinner and no sea trout licence or it's bass closed season - well... you'd deserve what you get

·
Registered
825 Posts
nathan to be 100% dont fish at all but if you are fishing and approached by a baliff and you tell him you are fishing for sea trout he will ask for your sea trout licence.if you hook a bass you are to return it straight away and put it down as a bye catch.i have not fished since the ban started and have been out walking on several marks ive seen plenty of lads fishing and nobody bothering them bit of a joke really.

·
Registered
825 Posts
bass nathan my mate has been up and down the coast in his boat the last week and has seen plenty of lads spinning trying to hide under cliffs etc.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went fishing off the rocks last closed season, trying for pollock
Got 5 pollock and 1 bass (by mistake)
The bass was a new PB for me at the time and I released it (as I do all my bass and as I did all my fish that day)

The only bailiff I have ever seen was at Blessington
and he didn't appear to know the laws himself, because there were some foreigners (ok top say that because I'm one :))
fishing for trout with dyed maggots
he was more busy hassling me for fishing out of a kayak
apparently my kayak was too small (I had a fishing licence and a boat licence) and "Blessington has some big pike - up to 20lb"
he wasn't interested in the fact that I had caught fish to 30lb in the same kayak back in Oz
nor was he impressed when I said "20lbs? I'd like to see one of those"
I wonder how interested he'd have been if I yad told him about the 12lber I got in my yak the week before?

anyway I digress ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts