The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a free pass to head out over low tide tonight, I stayed pretty local. With a couple of foot of surf, everything was seeming pretty perfect as I walked down to the water. The sky was darkening and there was almost a bit of a stormy buzz in the air. Typically I'd spent too much time drinking tea at home before leaving, so arrived to find the sea already lower than I wanted to start with; this was at about half 9, or maybe closer to 10. Low tide was 10.45pm - and it wasn't a particularly low one.

I started on an old deep diving Shore Line Shiner, running it through a slightly deeper pool inside of some rocks that provided some shelter from the swell. I caught here last time and this is the bit that I would actually have liked to have fised a bit earlier, with more water rolling in there. After half an hour approaching this pool with no signs of fish, I moved around to the next fishable area - a mostly sandy bottom with a bit of current (sweeping out of the deeper pool I was fishing previously). I started on the deep diver but was soon on an XLayer with a 10g head in amongst the waves. When I've fished here before it's always been quite windy, so it made a nice change tonight to be able to fish certain little bits a touch more effectively.

Nothing showed from this point after 15 minutes or so. There's one little bay down here that I've never really had chance to fish properly over low tide. I've always been here earlier or later and with a bit of swell, if the water dropped far enough I was hoping that this usually calm, deeper bay would become slightly more active and hopefully hold a few fish.

It wasn't long before a few of the set waves started creeping through the gap and in to this bay. With this, I had a few chucks in to the gap with the XLayer and pretty quickly had landed a couple of fish - the biggest being about 2lb. The water was much calmer here so I didn't actually need the 10g head I was fishing with, but it seemed to be doing the job. Changing to a 3g head I picked up another soon after. For the next 20 minutes I tried various things to no avail. I'd actually like to try down there with a really big swell running. Its a pretty safe place to fish, so I reckon it could be seriously good if the conditions are right. First chuck on a Megabass E-Ba and I hooked and lost another small fish. 10 minutes of things going wrong, with lost lures etc and I was back on an XLayer. Giant this time on the 10g head again - just because I was loving the insanely direct contact more than anything. It wasn't long before I was in to a 2.5lb fish which took it very, very softly.

It was interesting in the opening to this bay that there was a kelp bed spreading across the front of it, on the end of my cast. On touch down my bait would always initially snag, a couple of pulls always had it free, but it was the following 2 seconds on the edge of this kelp bed that the fish were sat waiting - so I had to be ready and fishing as soon as the bait was free.

Enjoyable evening really. No pictures this time unfortunately. Back out tomorrow hopefully to make more use of the times and tides.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report Ben...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice report Ben. Glad to see you had a few as well.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
good report.

The Kelp scenario is a well spotted phenomenon.
Believe me, initially snagging weed and ripping it free can and will induce strikes from nearby fish.

well done m8, good read that.

lets have more, soon.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Nice report Ben ... look forward to seeing the photos from your next session.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ben, excellent report - I had a similar experience last Friday from the kayak (see the catch report) with dragging a Sluggo (more expendable than Xlayers!) out of some seriously thick kelp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts