The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

My youngest lad (12) pestered me last night to take him for an hours fishing. So off we went at 8pm with a few sp's and the knowledge I'd gained from Thursday at St Caths. I was using a white 1 up shad and I put half a Gulp alive ragworm on a 7g head for my lad. It wasn't long before he told me he was getting a bite, and sure enough he reeled in a 6" Sea scorpian (I think thats what their called?). As for me I managed 1 good bite after a short quick retreive on the bottom. We then packed up as we were getting covered in little ice pellets.

Just wondered if this was a new species to add to the list of possible sp targets?

Gary

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good work Gary! Sea Scorpions are quite common in one of the few harbours with any water we have in this part of the world. I knew they'd be catchable on lures! I have some tiny Gulp Alive worms ready go!!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Ben,

We've certainly got plenty in our harbours and I've caught plenty on bait, but this was a first, catching one in darkness and in the depths of winter.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well done Gary and Son, you can definatly add that to the Species on SPs list. I have tried for them in the harbour without luck so far.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hi guys

My youngest lad (12) pestered me last night to take him for an hours fishing. So off we went at 8pm with a few sp's and the knowledge I'd gained from Thursday at St Caths. I was using a white 1 up shad and I put half a Gulp alive ragworm on a 7g head for my lad. It wasn't long before he told me he was getting a bite, and sure enough he reeled in a 6" Sea scorpian (I think thats what their called?). As for me I managed 1 good bite after a short quick retreive on the bottom. We then packed up as we were getting covered in little ice pellets.

Just wondered if this was a new species to add to the list of possible sp targets?

Gary
Well done. That's a proper "rockfish". Our piers and harbours are alive with them so hopefully more people will be catching them soon. They've got a big mouth too, so uber small lures not required. A little lure wound up tight to the harbour wall seems a likely method, considering how many get caught in drop nets baited for prawns suspended well off the bottom.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Awesome !

proper LRF (Light Rock Fish)

Get a photo next time.

That's one up on all of us anyway.

We are fishing St Caths tonight from about 6:45pm for anyone interested and Monday night from around 7:30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts