The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my mate Jimbo, a HRF virgin out for a session yesterday in the blazing sun. It didnt really go to plan, we spent more time eating Blackberrys and chatting to be honest. I managed one 'nuisance' Bass whilst going for Wrasse, and bumped a couple also. I think the area we were in was not rugged enough. The rocks were quite flat uniform platforms, not the mountainous boulder type places I prefer.

I offered to go out today with him as well, this time in the SW where I knew there was good Wrasse holding ground. Fair play to him he was keen. I set him up with my spare rod, reel etc, rigged him a weedless Xlayer and showed him where and how to fish it. It took some persuading to get him to really get the SP down in the rough, bumping bottom where the Wrasse are sat.

Once we'd found an area sheltered from the stiff easterly wind and the BIG swell, he was twitching the lure under his feet about 12ft deep under a ledge, and got nailed! Took a lot of line (I'd set his drag pretty loose), but he managed ok, leaving me to Boga his first ever fish on an SP and his first ever Wrasse on a lure! It went 3lb dead on the Boga. 20 mins later, another fish, smaller this time, then about half hour later, a third! This one went 2.5lb.

Its actually a nice feeling when you can get someone onto the fish and see them apply the technique you have tried to teach them, really rewarding seeing them catch! Which is just as well....I missed a couple of bites and blanked, then fell into a gulley up to my waist - can't win them all!

He is very keen now, and really enjoyed himself. Indeed he didn't shut up in the car on the way back. Another HRF convert I think.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have seriously got to get into this Wrasse fishing lark using SP,s ! Caught them in the past with bait and the initial take is vicious !

B.T.W. Good report !

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
i know the feeling mark being keen and putting things into practice then reaping the rewards i to didn't shut up in the car home and i was the only one in it !!!!!!!!!!!!! well done jimbo great start

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seriously got to get into this Wrasse fishing lark using SP,s ! Caught them in the past with bait and the initial take is vicious !
There is loads of info on it in the HRF section Gary. Its brilliant fun, and its not as dependant on as many variables compared to Bassing. Over here its a case of find rough ground and water, and you're in with a decent shout of some nice fish.

That'll be another TLF member soon then?
I'll get onto him about it, you never know...

I forgot to mention one interesting 'aside' in the report....We ended up fishing in a lovely cove surrounded by high cliffs, inaccessible from the shore unless you do a bit of scrambling. There was a little boat moored in the middle of the cove about 50m away from us. As I fished, my eye was caught by the naked upper half of a female bobbing up and down quite vigorously...then I saw the chap sit up as well. Our presence didn't seem to put them off at all, and it took all I had to stare down at the water and not gawp!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
There is loads of info on it in the HRF section Gary. Its brilliant fun, and its not as dependant on as many variables compared to Bassing. Over here its a case of find rough ground and water, and you're in with a decent shout of some nice fish.

I'll get onto him about it, you never know...

I forgot to mention one interesting 'aside' in the report....We ended up fishing in a lovely cove surrounded by high cliffs, inaccessible from the shore unless you do a bit of scrambling. There was a little boat moored in the middle of the cove about 50m away from us. As I fished, my eye was caught by the naked upper half of a female bobbing up and down quite vigorously...then I saw the chap sit up as well. Our presence didn't seem to put them off at all, and it took all I had to stare down at the water and not gawp!
It wasn't a small powerboat by any chance? About 16-18' with a Merc engine?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice one Mark. Great feeling helping someone learn a new technique. BTW, how long did you fish with a softie before the boat turned up?:lol::muttley:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Great report, and well done on setting your mate up. Some nice fish you got him onto there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts