The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poped out for a quick trip last night and then back home to watch the second half of the footy.

I had just taken delivery of a new lure that I'd been waiting for so had to pop out and try it even though it was less than perfect conditions. The lure i wanted to try was the Delalande Picol'eau lure it was the 13g version as that was the lightest they had in stock.

Fisrt cast I had a couple of fish following in but couldnt clearly make them out, same with the second cast, then on the 3rd saw a couple of longnose follow all the way in, nose at the lure and then swim off.

Had a bit of a better look around where I was fishing and noticed that the surface was covered in baby longnose of about 1/2 lb just out to my right, after about 15 mins more seemed to appear. I would estimate that there were over 50 under the lights that I could see with a few bigger ones in the mix.

Had another flick out with the lure but realised that as it was weighted it wasnt the best option as the longnose seemed set on the surface. whilst thinking about changing the lure had a nice take and good little scrap on the light gear with a 1 lb pollock coming to the surface. Released the fish to be caught another day and changed lures to a slug and go 3" as this was the smallest lure I had in the van and fished it weightless.

A mate also turned up and tried fishing with one of the slug and go's he had a couple of takes but couldnt hook up but at least gave me the confidence that they would take the lure. I watched the fish follow my lure and not take for another 30 mins then headed home to plan how to catch them next time.

I'm thinking smaller lure and less wind and I may have my fist Beaky on a soft lure. All in all a good trip out with a new lure catching fish and a new target species for this week.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nice report.

I haven't seen a snipe (longnose) this year yet but, its just around the corner.

A bit like the ferries, they seem to take a break in Guernsey before moving somewhere decent.

LOL..

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I think you should seriously consider the bombarda approach for the Garfish.

You can throw very small soft lures a long way and have great overall control.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
John-Paul, I love the Picol'eau but tend to fish it weedless rather than with the supplied jig heads. This way you can fish them on or near the surface (caught a number of bass this way last year) or let them sink and work them deeper. Good lure though and I need to get some more...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Fish is fish!! I saw a load of beaks under some lights a couple of weeks back but they were huge ones not tiny. Not interested in any of the lures.

Might be worth a small spinner bait just under the surface??

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Cannot be long before they show here! They'll be brilliant fun on the little rods, they're like mini Marlin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts