The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Martin had purchased his new rod earlier, we decided to have a try to find somewhere easy and out of the wind. We had a quick look at South pier (not too bad), but thought we may get better shelter on the end of the Albert pier overlooking Takeshi's castle. Sure enough it was quite pleasant there.

I helped set my wife up first, as all she needed was a No8 hook tied on and an sp. Karen chose the infamous pink trout bait. First cast (Still not properly dark) and she felt her first bites, which sadly didn't connect properly. I then set Martin up with 5 grams on a carolina rig and his choice was a small (10mm) white grub. Once he'd started fishing, I went back to our car to get my ULX. I put a cut down tiny xlayer on mine and within a short time I had my first pollock. It took the lure right at the wall, just as I was about to lift it out of the water.

A few minutes later I had my second, a bit further out this time, and slightly bigger.

Thinking I may be in the hotspot, I swapped places with Martin and changed his grub for another cut down tiny xlayer. He'd only been fishing for a couple of minutes before he felt a tap, struck, and sure enough it was his turn, pollock No3 and a great way to christen his new purchase.

The LRF bandit in Mr Fish's shop had better watch out, this boy is hot ;-)

All told, we were only the for about 70 mins, seriously good fun. Somebody else who'd been fishing around the corner, came to see how we were doing. He'd caught 1 pollock, but was using a fly outfit. My how the face of angling is changing! He told us he'd seen a group of about 30 large fish swim past him, we both guessed they were probably mullet.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Brilliant Gary. Whole family is getting in on the action.
Wonder who the guy with the fly rod is ?
Small baits are still order of the day I see.

Strange yesterday cause when I drove around the harbour, there were huge pools of suspended muddy water. At least 6 seperate ones I saw.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Keith, I saw a few of those muddy pools as well. I wonder why it's only in patches?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yes Keith, I saw a few of those muddy pools as well. I wonder why it's only in patches?
I am hoping it isn't (but fear it is) colloidal mud. A mining engineer told me this mud that is so fine it weighs less than water molecules and therefore doesn't sink. Horrible stuff raked up by those big channel storms a year or two ago.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am hoping it isn't (but fear it is) colloidal mud. A mining engineer told me this mud that is so fine it weighs less than water molecules and therefore doesn't sink. Horrible stuff raked up by those big channel storms a year or two ago.
That was an absolute nightmare last year, lets hope it isn't that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts