The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Its a nice example of a more standard rod still being useable enough to catch a few small ones. Maybe the BW is still lighter than your standard bass rod, but it does show that perhaps people don't need to go out and spend extra money on tackle when they can still go out and catch a few on the gear they've got.

Nice one Keith.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a nice example of a more standard rod still being useable enough to catch a few small ones. Maybe the BW is still lighter than your standard bass rod, but it does show that perhaps people don't need to go out and spend extra money on tackle when they can still go out and catch a few on the gear they've got.

Nice one Keith.
This was the motive behind the exercise Ben.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thought so. Just banging the point home.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Do you think the 7ft Sakura Shukan would be any good for this kind of fishing Keith?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think the 7ft Sakura Shukan would be any good for this kind of fishing Keith?
Maybe. Remember we are talking stop gap rods for winter work and HRF as summer approaches.

Match it with suitable braid and I reckon it should be fine.

It's all about the rod detecting the jig 'stopping' on the way down and you being able to feel it.
Until you try, you'll never know.

Start with 7g and work either side that. Practice casting in and feeling the jig hit bottom. Get that right and then learn to feel interceptions. That is mostly it for Pollack and in fact, Bass in open water.

Give it a go, report back.
Good luck.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Yes I will give it a go for sure. I need to get some braid then to go on my 2500 reel ..... what would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
With 7g on the 7' Shukan you should be fine. I have the 7'8" Shukan (10-30g), and that is good with anything down to around 7g. When you get lower it starts to get more difficult to feel anything, but if 7g is a good alround lighter weight for the small stuff then the Shukan should do it.

Braid wise, I know that Keith and myself have been trying out some new Yamatoyo stuff, which although very good, is hard to get hold of. 10 or 8lb power pro should be pretty much spot on as well though - seems others have been using it with success.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
With 7g on the 7' Shukan you should be fine. I have the 7'8" Shukan (10-30g), and that is good with anything down to around 7g. When you get lower it starts to get more difficult to feel anything, but if 7g is a good alround lighter weight for the small stuff then the Shukan should do it.

Braid wise, I know that Keith and myself have been trying out some new Yamatoyo stuff, which although very good, is hard to get hold of. 10 or 8lb power pro should be pretty much spot on as well though - seems others have been using it with success.
That sounds like a plan! Thanks for your help and advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts