The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been experimenting with this "Drifting Sp,s at night" lark with very little success only catching a couple of fish due to me not getting the technique right however I have not been able to go as often as I would have liked due to work commitments so each visit to the beach was a valued experience and learning more and tweaking the technique and then going home and pondering how to get it better.After receiving good tips from Keith White under the post of "Drifting SP,s at Night....Hook up problems" I was able to see where I was going wrong so the first chance I would get to hit the beach I was going to iron out the problems.

The stretch of beach I had in mind only produces Bass at night as the mark will only fish in daylight if the water is coloured with a good surf and then bait would be the only option however at night with reasonably clear water I have caught a few fish from it with lures.The wind was blowing from the N.W. which is the ideal wind direction for this particular beach but it was absolutely freezing when I got there but the water was reasonably warm so I was hopeful that I would catch something but during the first 15 minuets of me arriving the moon broke through the clouds and illuminated the beach like a football stadium and I did not get a touch nor where there any signs of any fish moving so I decided to move on to a spot which was quarter of a mile away which had a very high embankment and trees overhanging so there was plenty of cover from the moonlight.When I arrived I could hear fish splashing amongst the weed a typical sign of a shoal of School Bass occupying a mark so armed with Senko worms I started to fish, it was not long before I was into a nice Bass which hit the lure as it was coming around in the drift with a vicious take,it got a bit mad after that with a fish on nearly every cast which gave me enough practice to improve my hook up technique,"This is such a Buzz" I said to myself, I have caught at night with plugs before but not in a situation like this where you hardly have to put any effort into the lure to get it to work.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Really pleased you got this method working Gary.
Great report and it fortifies the method further.
Anyone reading Gary's post, take note of the fish by day (conditions) and fishing at night differences. Great observation btw.

Drifting lures this way is great fishing and the reward of taking fish like this can't be over emphasised.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Gary! Super satisfying when the theory meets the practise.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice one Gary, well done mate. So what did you do differently this time technique wise?
Having the Senko pegged to start off, which makes a big difference as I believe the worm was sliding down the hook as the fish took and masked the point without pegging that,s why I was missing bites

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Top fishing there. Sounds like it just 'clicked' for you and come good. Had a niggling feeling this year that I should be out at night doing this. Are you wading at the same time, or casting from the shore? The mark I have in mind requires wading waste deep in pretty fast water.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Top fishing there. Sounds like it just 'clicked' for you and come good. Had a niggling feeling this year that I should be out at night doing this. Are you wading at the same time, or casting from the shore? The mark I have in mind requires wading waste deep in pretty fast water.
I always try not to wade especially at night ! even in the day I will have a cast or two before I venture out wading as the fish can be very close in at times and can be easily spooked by wading.....regarding this particular night I was fishing from the shore.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yeah makes sense not to cause needless disturbance, but my mark the fish are out of casting range unless you wade(they sit on the side of a deep channel). once the tide gets 3 hours down, they're almost at your feet(same position though until another hour or so down the tide) so wading would then wreck chances of catching.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great fishing Gary - it's one thing reading the theory and another catching fish using new techniques, so hats off to you. Is that the 4" salt 'n' pepper stix senko from AGM as the lure?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was using the 5" salt 'n' pepper stix rigged with a Sliced Shank Straight Worm in 5/0 from agm , I also used a Watermelon coloured Senko,both colours worked well.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I like senko's very underrated lure and also very cheap. Also great for wrasse in rough ground!! Seen wrasse over 7lb on senko's.

Great fishing and report as well. I'm still an offset hook person, though I admit I missed several takes last night, it's a mark full of baby pollack inbetween the bass, never missed a "bass" take with an offset worm hook.

How do you deal with the pegging of the hook? Is it not a faff in the dark when trying not to put any light on the mark? Do you pre-rig? cheers!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andy...I use a 6" white Glow stick which I carry in my pocket and only use it to rig a lure or unhook a fish.I got my Glow sticks from e bay... very cheap!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Well done Gary....Isn't it great fun, night SP fishing and it at also allows you to fish and catch when day time conditions would have been a waste of time....:-D:-D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts