The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wondering if anyone else on here has ever brought on an injury through the act of repetative casting? , towards the end of october i started to develop a pain in the wrist on my casting arm which has left me with a very sharp pain when in a certain position, its not as a result of a fall or anything like that,and gradually got worse. I am wondering if it could be a stress fracture or a joint problem caused by repeatedly casting many many hundreds of times ? might give The Lancet a call to see if they are aware of "pluggers cramp" lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Twitching/jerking plugs can cause problems with wrists and/or elbows (tendinitis), especially using rather long and heavy rods. But I never heard of wrist problems caused by just casting plugs.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I had quite a problem with my left elbow this year. I fished a lot more and golfed a lot more this year though, so not sure what caused it. It has gone again now, but at its peak I couldnt open a door with my left arm!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi Trevor

Number of possibilities here, but muscle tendons /synovial sheath problems are favourite given the description you gave ( with wrist collateral ligaments also amongst the more likely possibilities). If the pain is on the thumb side of your wrist De Quervain syndrome is favourite. If you put you thumb touching the base of little finger and deviate your wrist to the side away from your thumb and this reproduces "your" pain then this is the likely diagnosis, and you need to see your GP for consideration of a steroid injection into the tendon sheath. PM me about the problem giving more specific advice as to where the pain is and what possitions bring on the pain and I am happy to advise (in a general sense).

Whatever the cause, it sounds possible it’s due to your casting technique and retraining yourself to cast from the shoulder and elbow keeping your wrist locked in a neutral position would prevent a reoccurrence once it’s sorted out. See a muskeloskeletal physio if you want specific advice

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow !!! thats a great help Matt, how the heck you knew it was on the thumb side......... ... PM sent . Maybe i will have a look at the way i cast but as 95 % of my plugging is with surface poppers which i work pretty aggressively using my wrist i wonder if thats more likely to be the cause? Will it get better on its own during the long winter break? or would a jab be the best course to take?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It was probably hauling out all those late season Bass on the old chug-bug!!!
Hope it's sorted for next season Trev!
I take it you won't be Piking this winter?
Get better soon mate, Nath.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Trev,
Ahhh, I remember the times when I suffered elbow pains due to loads of fishing with great fondness. Sadly they are now a thing of the past!
The first year I got it was having to use a backup rod that was a bit of a beast for a full week in Ireland. By the end of it my casting elbow was in bulk. Proper tennis elbow type symptoms. It got better over the winter, but low and behold the next season using a normal rod, the other elbow caved in the same. Couldn't understand why, but again that lasted all year only to disappear over the winter with no problems since, even when fishing very intensely for several days at a time.

Dr.Spence is a very good man to have around in an emergency, even if some of his "methods" seem a bit medieval at the time, they work! ;-)

·
Registered
949 Posts
...thinly disguised as fizzy snakes.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was probably hauling out all those late season Bass on the old chug-bug!!!
Hope it's sorted for next season Trev!
I take it you won't be Piking this winter?
Get better soon mate, Nath.
you must joking Nath, with these temps your hands would be too numb after half an hour to feel it anyway, though i am thinking of getting the inlaws in Finland to send my ice drill over as well..lol .....will wait till the air temps rise to something more normal and will start to think about the crocs on the island.....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
When I used too fly fish in the winter months i'd half hope not too catch, as the moment your hands got wet dealing with the fish it was home time. I remember the fly line freezing in the rings one year!
I'll be waiting for slightly warmer weather too Trev!
Cheers Nath.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ha ha Daz.........was waiting for a response from you but thought it would be something along the line of "is your eyesight going as well " lol, bye the way my wine glass holding is done with my other hand ................its very strong due to many years of intense training lol ................though i dont think i am up to your standard yet...........ding ding, last orders please...............yeah ...make mine a bottle of house red................

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Stop spreading rumours mr jones.Your wine tasting is legendry.On a serious note trev,last year my wrist went but opposite to the thumb and it was the way i sleep with hand under the pillow.
its ok now,just ask the barman in the bestwestern in barry.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts