The Lure Forums banner

Rapala 8.5" Aluminuim pliers ?

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Ben Field 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anything about these new pliers that are 'all aluminuim' ?

They look great and work out at about £35.00 with shipping etc.

Tried lots of Rapala stuff over the years and its usually crap,but these look good.

#3 ·
Nick, don't know about the ones you mention, but I bought the Rapala PLiers/Scissors combo from Monster Tackle and they have proved very rugged and reliable They are steel, so have to be looked after. Really a budget option compared the rather sexy Orvis ones Simon has mentioned, but better quality than some rapala accessories for sure.

#4 ·
I have some Stainless Steel Rapala pliers not sure what size but the key is too get the ones with the CARBIDE cutters on.
They can cut through wire and the like(hooks in hands), but more importantly they go through braid like butter even if the braid is'nt under tension.
They are a bit more costly than the regular steel pliers but about the same as the aluminium ones i think. I bought mine in the states a few years ago so prices may have changed.
With reagard too durability they have been great, just wash them down with your plugs then a bit of WD-40 no probs.
They also feature three differant size grooves for tuning your lures and a split ring tool at the end, very handy.

Oh yeah i should say i've not tried the aluminium ones they may be even better. The key as i say is the carbide cutter.
Hope i havn't confused matters.
Cheers Nath.

#6 ·
No experience of those Nick, but the below now have a place on my belt. I cannot get over how good the cutter is, goes through even really light braids (8lb) with ease. Takes the place of scissors now, as well as forceps, though I do carry some tucked away just in case. If I could change anything, it'd be to make the ends a bit thinner, but for any Bass in particular, 1.5lb+ fish have mouths plenty big enough to work with ease.

http://www.atkinsangling.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=1&ModelID=1839

#7 ·
I'm not sure how too do techy stuff like that Si. I can just about type.LOL.
I'll try but for ease and speed try and google rapala pliers carbide.
I just did a search and some good links came up about £35 i think.
There is also a tackle test.
Sorry not sure how too add links.
Cheers Nath.

#8 ·
I'm not sure how too do techy stuff like that Si. I can just about type.LOL.
I'll try but for ease and speed try and google rapala pliers carbide.
I just did a search and some good links came up about £35 i think.
There is also a tackle test.
Sorry not sure how too add links.
Cheers Nath.
No worries. But just for info, you just Copy & Paste em in !! Simples !!!

#10 ·
No experience of those Nick, but the below now have a place on my belt. I cannot get over how good the cutter is, goes through even really light braids (8lb) with ease. Takes the place of scissors now, as well as forceps, though I do carry some tucked away just in case. If I could change anything, it'd be to make the ends a bit thinner, but for any Bass in particular, 1.5lb+ fish have mouths plenty big enough to work with ease.

http://www.atkinsangling.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=1&ModelID=1839
Wow - they look terrific, Mark. Seems a lot of money to spend though doesn't it?

#11 ·
I have some Stainless Steel Rapala pliers not sure what size but the key is too get the ones with the CARBIDE cutters on.
They can cut through wire and the like(hooks in hands), but more importantly they go through braid like butter even if the braid is'nt under tension.
They are a bit more costly than the regular steel pliers but about the same as the aluminium ones i think. I bought mine in the states a few years ago so prices may have changed.
With reagard too durability they have been great, just wash them down with your plugs then a bit of WD-40 no probs.
They also feature three differant size grooves for tuning your lures and a split ring tool at the end, very handy.

Oh yeah i should say i've not tried the aluminium ones they may be even better. The key as i say is the carbide cutter.
Hope i havn't confused matters.
Cheers Nath.
I use theese ones and providing you give them a little tlc they will last!! had mine several seasons now and still going strong!!

#12 ·
Nick, i know how you enjoy top-notch kit - I used some fabulous pliers in Jersey last week. They belonged to Tony (tonyg on here) . . . . . . check these out . . . . . http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=97H3&dir_id=441&cat_id=11327&Group_ID=446
Yeh, I have looked at these before but someone gave them a bad review.
I cant remember why.
The Rapala ones are on the Oriental Angler site and dont look bad etc.
I was just about to click "go" and then had second thoughts.

#16 ·
I'd agree too about paying proper money for pliers. It seems like the most stupid thing ever to spend so much money on, but having gone through about 4 pairs of cheap ones last year, then next pair I buy will be proper. Cheap ones do the job, but they all rust eventually. Unless you're going to seriously lok after them (which again seems an unexpected thing to need to do with pliers), they're worth spending money on. £45 is a decent price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.