The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been reading the thread 'SP Lines' and have been learning to tie a rapala knot.

Couple of questions:

When using it to tie on SP how big a loop do people typically leave?
How many people use this knot to tie on hard plastics instead of a clip?

Thanks.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Greg, the rapala knot is def an easy reliable knot once you have the hang of it. Enables you to basically choose what size loop you use. The only downside in my own mind is, if you use the the knot, when you use a leader, the continual changing of lures will use up a far bit of length overall. Ive only used in on fluro leaders not braid. Hopefully someone else who does will add to this. I like to have about a half inch, but you can vary the size of the loop, depending of what lure you are using.

Def worth having as another knot option when your out and about.

For those that are not aware of this knot here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsr5yvT7ahY

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Usually it is 5mm or so..
You can make it smaller with practice.

Yes, I use on hardbaits too. Not always but topwater guys should seriously consider it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually it is 5mm or so..
You can make it smaller with practice.

Yes, I use on hardbaits too. Not always but topwater guys should seriously consider it.
Thanks Keith, when would you use one for hard plastic, or perhaps when wouldn't you use one??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I use the knot when the clip starts to affect the attitude of a lure or, changes it's properties.

So, suspending lures, when we take suspending lure out like now, we might have to 'trim' it to sit still.
I use a rapala knot instead of a clip because I want any added weight centered at the lure pivot point.

On small plugs I always use a rapala knot or a slid back uni knot.

For weed ripping, I use a strong clip direct to strong 0.23mm braid or thicker so I don't use a rapala knot for that.
In fact, I use a double line knot to the clip and strong plugs as ripping weed is insanely destructive towards gear.

I am in fact looking for a new rod just for the method. You wouldn't believe how stiff ! we are talking.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts