Rapala MaxRap | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Rapala MaxRap

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Salmon

Well it has been around for a while, available in sizes from 11cm/13g to 17cm/30g.
    So have you done any good with it?? How do they cast?? What do you think of the action?? Opinions gentlemen Please

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bass

I love the 11cm ones. They work great for me as a jerk bait rather than a straight retrieve. But for me they work great with size 2 singles as they swim a bit shallower. They cast a bomb

3. Salmon

Cheers Brendan, Oddly enough it is the smallest (11cm) that I have my eye on, great to hear it casts well too.

4. Striper

Dave

The MXR11 was one of my go to lures last year with the most productive colours for me being the flake silver and flake ayu

They are really well made and cast like a bullet

Most encouraging thing I can say about them is they work round here!!

Cheers pete

• Like Like x 2
  5. Salmon

Cheers Pete, Now that is a reconmendation that is hard to ignore.
    Thanks

6. Mackerel

I just bought the 15cm in flake ayu Dave and the pollack seem to like it on a steady retrieve, cast's very well. Only bought that size as it was going cheap i was more interested in the colour than size.

7. Blenny

Love these lures, for the price they are up there! my favourite is by far the AYU in 13cm version. Straight retrieve has proved its worth with me around here, the green one is also a good'un (name of colour escapes me)

8. Salmon

Cheers Guys, thanks for taking the time to reply, and keep the reports (good or bad) coming.

9. Sausage!

the 11 and 13,have smashed fish for me matey,mainly the 11 but 13 close behind,real good action and best fished with a twitch or two i reckon,i love them

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blenny

Great lure.. the white 13 size is smashing them at the mo... great night lure aswell.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sausage!

neer used the whte on yet but need to get it asap,i use the white underside green/brown top with yellow face,they love it and dives bit deeper with twitches too,but ry you use white at night?we always go black or dark,you miht have opened a door for iz here and thanx dave for the thread matey

12. Mullet (foul hooked)

13cm in fake blue has worked very well for me. best casting lure in the box

13. Mackerel

I have had a few on the ayu 13 ... casts ok ... good lure I think.

14. Blenny

I have personally done better with white at night, only cause i use them more.. i have caught on both black and white but i do prefer the white colours by night

15. Bass

Here's one from tonight! On the max rap, had four on it until I switched. Yeah works well!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341793601.578801.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Striper

I have 3 of the 13cm ones in different colours I have had Bass and Pollack on all of them I have noticed that all 3 of them do not track well in the water on a straight retrieve They swim at an angle Retrieve them with a slow steady twitch and they come alive

• Like Like x 3
  17. Salmon

I have Ayu one and a browny coloured one. Rapala's best lure by a distance! I have caught day and night. They cast well, nice action. I've caught lots on mine at night with a slow straight retrieve in surf over clean ground. Very good price compared to some very similar minnows as well

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mackerel

Its getting lots of good comments. I reckon for price, rapala durability, and effectivness its got to be one of the best lures around.

19. Chub

I noticed that aswell ive had 3 different sizes they all veered abit on the retrieve, i have seen a japanese pearl version on ebay 150mm looks very tastey

20. Pike

Dave,
    Both the 11 and the 13 in AYU are cracking lures for Salmon on a downstream straight retrieve.
    Not tried them on Bass yet.
    Brian