The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use them with success, saw some 10's today in a shop, but only in Glass Ghost, Silver and Mackerel colours

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Yes, they are very good but dont really get talked up that much. I dont like the salt water ones, I prefer the smaller ones (with the teaser). Glass Ghost has been very good for me as its getting dark, with the sort of green one being good as well. Bear in mind they dive down bit deeper than your typical shallow minnow.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
The glass ghost is far and away my favourite for callig. The 10cm deep diver. Ripping it down deep, let it float up for 10 secs, rip it down again seems to be the technique that works best for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have 4 or 5 different colours of the xrap 10 as they are lovely lures which are also very productive at times. The HJ10 (Husky Jerk) is another option for deeper close in work but are a little lighter and therefore don't cast as well. I have had many fish on the HJ10 is glass/white when all other of the modern favourites in my box have let me down that day. I don't tend to fish deeper water too much in recent years so they all don't get the use they deserve.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've had quite a few on the Glass Host this year. Rapala have got it right I think in producing lures with a finish that will take a bit of a beating.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many Thanks for the replies, think I'll be going back down the shop ASAP especially at £8 each, got to phone tomorrow to see he can get me the AYU and the Olive Green patterns, fingers crossed, Ive got loads Maria's, Feed Shallows, Megabass, just got to get out and use the things, doh

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Many Thanks for the replies, think I'll be going back down the shop ASAP especially at £8 each, got to phone tomorrow to see he can get me the AYU and the Olive Green patterns,
Get on down, the price is right, the action is right, the finish is right! I've about 6 Rapalas but THIS one in the Bleeding Olive Flash is my first Deep Tail Dancer. Itchin' to try it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ive got a few, I bought them for when I had a boat, but never used them, preferring the Rapala Slivers, doh
Are they any good off the shore then, I suppose at deepish high water marks they could be good, providing they cast reasonably well, don't think the slivers cast that well, not sure though

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have not had much success at all with Slivers from the shore. I have with xraps though. They are fine to use in any water that is 5ft + I reckon. You can fish them shallower by going slow and keeping rod up as well.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I have not had much success at all with Slivers from the shore. I have with xraps though. They are fine to use in any water that is 5ft + I reckon. You can fish them shallower by going slow and keeping rod up as well.

My Rapala Sliver was probably my first 'expensive' (relatively, at the time) plug. First cast in the salt, and a Bass of around 3 to 4lb followed it in to my feet :shock:.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
My Rapala Sliver was probably my first 'expensive' (relatively, at the time) plug. First cast in the salt, and a Bass of around 3 to 4lb followed it in to my feet :shock:.
I have has 'slivers'for years now and have had a few fish on them but my biggest memory of these plugs was seeing them in a giant Wal-Mart store in the US for about five or six dollars.
At the time they were about twelve quid or so over here.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you fish abroad, especially in Cuba, the X rap in spotted minnow is regarded as an essential lure by a very good angler I met there (Marktheshark).
Getting tricky to source there days though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was that from the shore Sim? how do they cast? I thought that they might sort of tumble over and snag the line, although if you feather the cast down you could maybe get away with it, not sure though, Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd imagine the Giant Trevally would smash them to bits, what sizes do they use out there 14 or bigger is it?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Was that from the shore Sim? how do they cast? I thought that they might sort of tumble over and snag the line, although if you feather the cast down you could maybe get away with it, not sure though, Cheers
That was off the shore, off the end of Burry Holmes Steve, some time back. They dont cast anywhere near as well as some other plugs out there, but i didnt have any problems with it snagging the line. I've used the JTS quite a bit this year, and again that casts perfectly well also (not the distance of some of the other plugs again, but far enough to find the fish).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts