The Lure Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen this reel referenced in other threads. I'm in the market for a new reel and fancy it.
I'd appreciate first hand feedback.
Does the lightweight compromise on the gears?
What size to suit a Shukan 2500/4000?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi Colm

I've got a 8'6" Shukan and fancied a Rarenium but was a bit worred about the weight and if it would balance with the rod.

Spoke to a few people who assured me it would b OK so bought a 4000 off **** a couple of weeks back. Used it for about seven or eight sessions so far and can't fault it. Nice and smooth, nice line lay, lightweight but balanced on my rod.

Can't really comment on the power as I've just had a small schoolie and mackeral on it so far, but I'm don't feel concered about the power from the genral feel of it so far. Would definately recommend it if you fancy one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Been using a Rarenium with a Shimano Beastmaster BX 8ft rod for the last couple of months and have had a dozen bass on it so far, the biggest approaching the 4lb mark. Been fishing over very rough ground and it seems to be holding up very well in the power dept. It's picked up a few signs of wear and tear resting on rocks and has had some thorough drenchings but is feeling really very smooth still. I always give it a rinse after a big session which is often two or three days of constant use with no TLC, then give it some air and a few sprays of GT85 lubricant. Mine is the 4000FA and balances the 8ft rod very well. I looked long and hard at the Twin Power 4000FD too which i think is a great reel but i preferred the Rarenium for balance, weight and the feel of the handle. The Twin power does feels more powerful but the Rarenium is also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a 4000 n was using a 2500 exage prior and the weight diff made 2 fingers diff to balance point, un noticable to me. coupled with quantum salsa spin. i have had couple 6+ bass n not a problem, rough ground snags cause it no prob and the drag is very good. such a smooth reel. loaded with avani sea bass pro which is very nice to use... not a single knott. how much down to reel/braid not sure. i would now go for a 3000 in heindsight, but personal pref. i cant really say i look after to well, its a tool, gets dunked when wading, gets bumped on rocks... had maybe 100+hrs of use with weekly rinse and oil...cant fault it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts