The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting dad to buy some rattles to go into soft plastics for wrasse:-D(as xlayers are to expencive) I am am a bit puzzled on how to get the rattle into cheaper SPs. I've tried just pushing the rattle in but that just ripped the lure:evil:. can anyone suggest any other way of putting the rattles in.
George

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've had some luck with just pushing them in George. If that's not working though, time to get the soldering-iron out. That'll sort it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim the zoom gobies is what i`m trying to get the rattles into

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Get the smallest rattles you can George. Saving them from old Xlayers is a good idea. Also check out the sound of an Xlayer rattle compared to an after market rattle.

As for fixing them, Simon's idea is a good one, otherwise you could try heating the end of a nail but if you do either, you'll need to glue the rattle in or seal the hole afterwards.

There is one thing about putting rattles into a lure that matters and again you need to take a look at the Xlayer. Notice how the rattle chamber is near the surface? If you stuff a rattle too far into a dense lure you'll lose some of the effect, so easy does it.

Best of luck with your trials. Its great to see younger (in fact any) anglers thinking about their SP angling.

BTW I'll PM you a tip for using that stuff I gave you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saving them from old Xlayers is a good idea.
The really annoying thing is i retire the xlayers because the wrasse nab the rattle out of them the cheeky buggers. But i will save the rattles out of the ones that are just destroyed by their teeth. Thanks paul.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Joe just one thing how big are those ones because the ones i`ve got are a bit to big. Are they large or really small??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool thats really really handy!!!! because the slimmer SPs need smal rattles and the bigger SPs need large rattles. thanks alot joe

G

·
Hi mate,

Not sure what size you're looking for but i tend to drill a hole wher the hook goes in my lager shads wich are stuck on a jig head. Glue it with super glue and it wont tear as fast as it would without this technique.

It might suit your needs but will be hard on thin jelly worms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts